cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

amiray39

Who's spouse is still a smoker?

What advice do you have for couples when one person is ready to quit but the other one isn't? I have asked him to start smoking outside when I quit and he has agreed to that.

12 Replies
amiray39

Thank you all for your experiences. It does help.

0 Kudos
shazzan99

Set the example, Show your spouse that quitting smoking is not just a dream but a reality. If you can do it, he will believe that he can also do it. Once believing, he will try. Can any of us not admit that we wanted to quit for many years, we just feared that we could not. 

Knowledge is Power. There is Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself!

virgomama

I'm not sure if you've quit or not, but I followed the advice from others on this site and had a conversation with my partner before I quit.  I specifically asked if he would be willing to have the house smoke free.  I told him it would actually be healthier for all of us.  I also asked if he would hide ashtrays and cigs from my view. He did agree to my surprise.  I let him in on the countdown to my quit so he would mentally prepare too.  2 days until I quit......tomorrow is the day,  etc..

My primary caution would be that you think about and prepare for what you will do when your partner does smoke.  Just knowing that he was going outside to smoke would trigger a craving for me in the beginning.  Add something in your quit plan to deal with that.  What will you do when your partner smokes?  Take a walk?  Chew gum?  Blow bubbles?  Just be prepared and plan for this. 

One suggestion I found really helpful was to place a dab of Vicks under your nose when you smell the smoke.  It actually works pretty well.

Remember it is YOUR quit.  You have to own it and protect it. Quitting with a smoking partner is doable.  There are different challenges you face, but don't let your fear of that stop you.  And stay close to this site.  It will be your guiding light.  Trust me on that.

Cindy