cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Whew! Im 8 days in and i cant freaking breathe!

Ok so I found this site before I quit and I've been reading everyone's comments.  You guys are all so kind and helpful with eachother!

I am 8 days in. Still having cravings after I eat but not too bad. I had to quit cold turkey because iam awaiting a back surgery and had to quit to get it accepted by the insurance company.  No complaining, I needed and wanted to do it. Just paying the price of being forced to go cold Turkey.  

Day 4 I started feeling like i just ate a huge meal...when i did not... then started wheezing. Day 5 my while rib cage felt like I'd been hit by a truck everywhere. Super painful.  And mind you, right now iam on narcotics to help with the back pain, and I can still feel this pain in my ribs. I am not able to cough a lit because when I do I worsen the back pain a lot. Been using humidifier and taking hot showers.  I'm on day 8 and still no improvement.  I'm seeing a lot or people saying that they have tightness in the chest during withdrawal.  Is what I'm feeling normal?! How long is this going to last?! Help!

19 Replies
elvan

PLEASE let us know how you are doing.  Congratulations on your NINTH day!

Ellen

indingrl

COLD turkey days of NICOTINE freedom - Yahooooooooooo - I am so sorry YOUR in back pain and please know I lifted YOU in prayer in MY Lord Jesus name amen - CONGRATS on DAY 9  too - hang in there -  YOUR doing wonderfully STAYING a NON SMOKER - just for YOU

On day 14! Not going to lie, besides burying family members,  it's been the hardest thingnive ever done. 

You all are so nice here. Your words are so kind! Thank you!

I'm still having issues but they arent lasting as long now. I'm hoping they just eventually taper down all the way. Dr suggests I wait it out. Especially since it is not like that all the time. Steam and heat helps. Dr said no to mucinex because it has a reaction with one I'm already on. Just gonna keep going!

elvan

Thanks for the update, so sorry for your losses. That makes everything hard under the best of circumstances. Stay close, read, keep up with the steam & the heat.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Big congrats on 14 days.   That's a major accomplishment and certainly something to be proud of.  Glad you're feeling somewhat better.  Stay in touch.

Barb

Giulia

So now you're on Day 16, right?  I'm sorry you have lost family members.  Quitting during this time makes it so much harder.  But look at you.... you're now over two weeks quit.  That just shows you how amazing you are!  Hope the steam and heat help.  You just keep on in the direction you're going.  You're doing it right.

JACKIE1-25-15

How are you doing?

Hey guys! 

I'm on day 25 now! Missing the cigarettes kind of but not really! Still having a lot of cravings of which I am getting rid of by watching tiktok videos or eating a small piece of candy. 

My pain is getting worse by the day. The searing pain down my legs is almost unbearable at times. Which makes not smoking VERY HARD.  I'm hanging in there! My breathing is continuously getting better. I've noticed it is made worse by the cold air and after I take my medication.  I'm starting to wonder if it's just a mixture of quiting smoking, having smoked for 20 years so heavy, respiratory slowing medication and the weather flip flopping so much. I went 2 days with no issues at all and then woke up with issues at 4am this morning,  almost gasping. Going to have to see a dr about it again. Might be athsma? Never had it before?!?!

elvan

I think seeing a doctor is a good call.  I lost many quits because of severe pain, I wasn't willing to accept that smoking did not help my pain, it just kept me addicted.  Smoking does nothing FOR us but it certainly does a lot TO us.   

Congratulations on 25 days!  That's excellent.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Big congrats on 25 days.   Sorry to hear to you're having so much pain.  Seeing a doctor is the best course of action.  Please let us know how it goes.

Barb