cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Juls2021

When does it get easier??

Hello All,

My name is Julie and I am new to the group. My wife and I made the decision to quit together and we smoked our last cig on June 19th. She seems to be just fine and not struggling and I feel like I am tearing my hair out. Every evening, I start to have the worst cravings and it makes me so cranky and miserable. I haven’t caved, and 22 days is the longest I’ve gone without a cigarette in over 14 years. I thought I’d feel the cravings slowing by this point, but it feels just as bad as it did, maybe even worse. I can feel the difference in my health…my skin and eyes are clear, I can breath and smell things…but all of the positives seem to disappear when I’m in that craving mode. Can anyone relate and share tips? Thanks so much in advance!! 

Labels (1)
5 Replies
Giulia

A couple of blogs on what you're experiencing:  WHEN DOES IT GET EASY??????  and Expectations, Timelines and the Reality YOU Create 

The sooner I took the possibility of  smoking off the table in my own mind the less annoying the cravings became.  You hang in.   It's Gonna Be Okay

maryfreecig

Every evening cravings come on. 

It's often suggested to mix up your routine around crave times. 

Spend time at Ex in the evening then. Plenty to read, make comments. Get settled in. 

You can do this one day at a time. And welcome to Ex.

Barbscloud

@Juls2021 First of all congrats on your quit.  22 days is fabulous.   Data indicates physical withdrawal can continue from 3 - 4 weeks as it gradually declines.   And the psychological aspect can last longer.  It will get easier, but be patient with yourself.  Most of us have smoked a long time, so adjusting to the loss of nicotine does take some time.  So hang it there, it will happen.  Are you doing anything to replace the lost dopamine?  Going a walk, even a short one, is great way to increase that chemical in your brain.  

Spend some time on the site.  Support from other quitters is really helpful.

Barb

21chickens

I can relate.  I quit once several years ago but my husband struggled and eventually started back up again and eventually so did I.  This time around he is having it easy but I'm struggling hard.  It's only been 7 days but it feels longer.   I am hurting bad today.  I am so glad he is not here because I'm not sure I could hold my tongue.   I just keep thinking maybe tomorrow will be better.   Changing things up and exercising helped last time.  Maybe that is something we can try.  We must hold on.

Juls2021

I can so feel your pain! I have a hard time not saying some nasty comment out of crave anger. I’m going to work on some art work tonight, that always calms me.