cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tsngo

When can I stop hiding?

I have been hiding from my family members who smoke because I didn't want to be tempted. Today on day 10 of my quit I wanted to visit with them and I could not prevent myself from smoking 1 cigarette with them. How long will this last? Quite lonely hiding from them. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Might you ask for your family's support by not smoking in front of you? I would tell them you miss them, but that your quit needs to be a priority for a bit and their not doing it in front of you would help you to remain committed.  I would hope they would be able to forego it for a little while so you might have some time with them.

There WILL come  time when it shouldn't bother you, but that will not be at the beginning!

virgomama

This first few weeks are very hard.  You were right to stay away from others who smoke in the beginning.  It's a very vulnerable time.  Could you talk to your family?  Maybe ask them to support you quitting by not smoking around you or letting you know so you can leave the room for awhile?   Perhaps you could take a bottle of water with you so you have an alternative to smoking, or make a plan of what you will do instead of smoking with them.  Loneliness is hard and staying away from family is harder, but ultimately you have to choose how important this quit is to you.  Every moment, every situation is a choice - will you quit or will you have another day one?  

As lonely as it may be your staying away is only termporary until you're farther along.  You won't always be so vulnerable.  It does get easier.  

Hang in there.  The fact that you blogged says you want to quit.  keep coming back.  You'll get there.

Not hanging around people who smoke is a fantastic idea.

Keep that in your Quit Plan for as long as you need to.

When you do back to mingle, excuse yourself immediately when anyone lights up...

Or instantly maneuver yourself UPWIND!

Look not with envy upon those that smoke...

Look upon them with pity...

Know full well they do damage to themselves with wach and every puff they take!!

They all, deep inside, wish they could be Quit....show them the Way!!

Stay FREE!!

".....WITH each and every puff they take"

excuse typo.

0 Kudos
Gai.C

My husband is still smoking as well as my daughter.  It's my Quit not theirs.  I had to Quit due to shortness of breath.  They don't smoke in our house or car. Why are u Quitting? Pray and ask God to take all desire away. He will gladly take it from u. He delivered me over 2 1/2  years ago.

BobKatt22

You Go girl!!! Keep it up!! Unfortunately my roommate smokes in the house. She will even light one up while in a conversation with me! That pisses me off! She has no consideration!

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Kudos
elvan

BobKatt22‌ Have you talked to your roommate about smoking in front of you?  I came very close to losing a friend because I told her repeatedly that I could not be around smoke and she has no intention of quitting.  She admits that she is short of breath, tires easily, and she knows her skin is aging faster than it should but if she is going someplace where smoking is not allowed, she goes into a full blown panic attack.  She has not flown in YEARS, she won't go to a restaurant unless there is an outdoor area where she can smoke.  She spends most of her time at home or with other smokers.  She has three kids and they all smoke, she has two very young grandchildren and they smoke in the same area as those kids.  She doesn't WANT to smoke, she HAS to smoke.  Perhaps it is the same with your roommate.  If she lights up in the middle of a conversation, just LEAVE.  Eventually, she will get it.

Barbscloud

There are two sides to this issue.  Stay away from people who smoke and realize it's your quit, no one else's.  Everyone is different.   My sister was at my house smoking outside the first week I quit.   I just believe it's their choice to smoke and I have not control over that.   As long as it was outside, it was OK with me.  What did upset me was when she'd leave a partial cigarette in the ashtray.  That I didn't tolerate.   This can just be a temporary situation for you and certainly worth it.  Congrats on 10 days.  You're doing fabulous--be kind to yourself right now.  Whatever works for YOU.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Einstein stated "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."  What will you do differently THIS time?

I gave you lots of good information to read, and hope that if you didn't do it, you start now for THIS quit.  After you have completed the reading, make a plan!  Get a quit kit ready.  You might include a list of your reasons for quitting, mints, gum, straws to puff through, a list of things you can do when you want a puff.   Change up ALL your routines to reduce the associations and triggers.  Drink your coffee with your other hand, in a place you didn't vape.  Maybe go for a walk right out of bed, then a shower, then a few jumping jacks, THEN your coffee.  Take a different route to work.  Take a walk outside during your break.  Get the idea?

You CAN do this.  Past failures do not require future ones.  Make a commitment and do whatever it takes....WHATEVER it takes!  The first three days are the most difficult, then it's your body adjusting to life without nicotine for a few weeks - then comes the most difficult part  - getting past the associations and triggers built up over time.  This is a process, but each new routine you make, each crave you get past makes it easier for the next one.  You have to work at this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier as time passes - but you MUST give it the time it takes.

Get ready!  Get set!