cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

samillervzw

What to do?

So my doctor decided to put me on Wellbutrin to help me quit. As of yesterday. Today is my quit day. I am just wondering if I should give it a few days and let the med get in my system before quitting or not. Sounds like an excuse to keep smoking but I just want to give myself the best shot I can! 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
constanceclum

Can you research how long it takes to get the maximum effect? It seems to me if it takes a bit to get the full benefit, then you should wait. Otherwise, why take it at all? 

Connie

0 Kudos
samillervzw

It’s says it should be taken 1-2 weeks before quitting. I feel like I’ve already failed... 

0 Kudos
constanceclum

You have not failed. One of the reasons this site works so well is the education and preparation. As long as you don't have health problems, don't be concerned about waiting an EXtra week or 2 to give the medication time to work. Just don't make the mistake of thinking it or any other drug/NRT will be this miracle that will make it super easy. You still need to prepare.

Connie

sweetplt

Hi samillervzw did you do the readings and work on your other post...usually the set quit date is in about 2 weeks and during that time you prepare for that day like no other...even with the Wellbutrin...you need to have healthy activities you will do in place of smoking...and also, become as knowledgeable as possible on the quit journey.  You didn’t fail....you just need to do the work, plus follow the Wellbutrin instructions...we are here for you...let us know how we can help....~ Colleen 302 DOF 

0 Kudos
samillervzw

I have done the readings and there is a lot of helpful info in them.  I am definately working on adding quite a few of them into my daily routine.  One at a time as to not completely overwhelm myself.  I am not going to give up yet!!

Mward90

You have not failed!  Deciding to quit is the best first step and congratulations for making that decision!  I'm not familiar with that medication so maybe some research into it?  From what I see just glancing through articles about it I think you will be fine to quit and keep taking it after your quit date especially if you have done your research on quitting and know some about what to expect from quitting.  But I am not a doctor and everyone is different, everyone's quit is different.  Whatever you decide we are here for you!  You got this!

- Michelle

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I used Webutrin (and nicotrol inhalers),  and yes your should take it for 1 - 2 weeks before you quit and continue to take for several weeks after.  Just read the prescription enclosure.   You didn't fail because you didn't quit yet.  Pick a date one or two weeks into the future and spend that time educating yourself and preparing.  I also attended a smoking cessation class during that time and signed up for the text messages from the Ex.   I received them daily and they were a great inspiration leading up to my quit date.   You still got this.

Barb

maryfreecig

You've said that your doctor put you on wellbutrin, but I assume that you want to quit and talked to your doctor about your options. Quitting is something you do--and if wellbutrin can help you with that goal than that is wonderful. Others have been helped. But while you are waiting for it to take effect, keep reading and learning--because this is how you relearn life without smoking. Believe in quitting rather than smoking. One day at a time, and with support you can get to your quit. Ex will be here for you 365.  

AnnetteMM

That's the trouble with giving yourself an arbitrary quit date. 

Why make it harder for yourself??

Let the Wellbutrin get into your system for a couple weeks.

Use the time to read more stuff.