Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sailez

What's Your Motivation to Quit?

What's your motivation to Quit?

My motivation:

I Love traveling and would like to see the maximum world before I die. If I am infirm tomorrow, my family or kids or anyone wouldn't take the trouble to show me around. I thought I have to Keep myself fit till the day I die.

I smoked last 2 cigarette back to back on 26th March 2016 an evening before my birthday, which falls on 27th. Took a selfie of myself smoking & posted it to my mailbox.

I stopped myself from the temptation of smoking hourly at first than daily. Ex community helped me with the day count, so I boasted that I have stay quit for so many days.

Whenever there's a strong urge, I question myself, do I really want to go through the same regime of quitting once again. The first day is the most difficult, I you cross the 1st Day, you can.

What's Your Motivation? Once again.

22 Replies
sailez

That's a great move towards a healthier lifestyle.

Stay Quit & Be Healthy!

Jeep

Told a friend that I quit for my health. Standing outside in the rain, wind, and snow was taking a toll. Asked about life changes – don’t have to watch the weather channel any more. Actually, I quit because of COPD; it’s a death sentence and doesn’t get better. Not smoking delays the inevitable and makes life a little better. If you continue you will get COPD. It sneaks up on you with permanent damage done before you realize it. It’s your choice. 32 days and counting.

sailez

So true! I too could imagine the same situations that you wrote about. It's so better now. 33 now, so keep on adding. We can do it for better.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

There were many reasons: couldn't take the smell on my clothes, the social stigma, frequent overseas trips - long hours on the plane and layovers, but the thing I had on my mind was my son's declaration: "mom, I love you and I want to have you around a long time".  One day I got sick, and I took the clue; quit at about the same time as you.

sailez

Kids can be a great motivation!

Now you'll be there for her for a really long time. Stay Quit & Stay Happy!

0 Kudos

Not one more second of one more minute of one more day will I pay my hard earned money to poison myself one puff at a time!

sailez

It really takes a lot to motivation in gaining financially by not smoking. It took me 23 years to realise.

Stay Happy & Stay Quit.

Giulia

I don't have a motivation to quit (I quit 11 years ago).  But I can express my motivation to remain quit.   There is nothing so frightening to me as having another day one. That's a process I never want to go through again.   I'm grateful for the freedom from the addiction, the better, health, etc.  But I am so aware of the costs - on all levels - of this addiction, I can't imagine (and don't imagine), going back to the smoker I was.  My motivation to quit when I did 11 years ago was simply because I knew cigarettes were killing me.  I wanted to live longer than lesser.  For all the reasons we all want to live longer than lesser.  NADO (Never Another Day One)

sailez

Lovely piece of motivation to stay quit. Same here NADO.

Thank You for sharing your experience.

MarilynH

Thanks for the great blog which reminds me to stay smokefree because my motivation to quit was to quit smoking before my health deteriorated so bad that I could and or would die a slow painful death which would most likely be smoking related so that's what motivated me and will keep me vigilant while enjoying my Forever Quit! So ~ N. E. F ~ Never Ever Forget the early days and wks of our quits.