cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

What makes us do this?

I remember the day that I started smoking.  I was 15 years old and it was a Marlboro.  Yes, I gagged, but I didn't stop.  Now, oh my god, it's 25 years later!  Where did all those days go?  Now I'm quitiing.  This is my second attempt.  It's been about a month now.  I haven't paid much attention to the time, thinking that maybe since I failed the last time after a month I wouldn't keep track of it and just pretend that I was a non-smoker.  As though I had never smoked before.  It helps sometimes.  It's lieing to myslef but we all do that, don't we?    And another thing that is bugging me...is it really quitting when I use the patch.  Okay it's only the 14 mg one, but, it's nicotine.  Never could imagine quitting cold turkey.  I hear people say they just laid em' down one day...WHAT!?   Amazed, I am. 

I am new to this site.  Thought maybe, since I always hear support helps, I would look for support.  You see I am sort of a loner.  No not a cavewoman, just usually like to keep stuff like this to myself. 

But.......I have failed before.  And I cannot fail again...I just cannot.  

Today is rough.  Got to admit it. I have a final today.  I just needed to write down why it's hard to see that I am trying to make excuses.  Having a final isn't a reason to start smoking again.  There IS no reason.  My husband quit the same time I did.  I'm so extremely proud of him.  Never thought he would do it.  He is determined and yes it's helpful.  All those out there with spouses still smoking while your trying to quit...yes it's harder.  ......Now don't go using that as an excuse like I did and go back to smoking like I did last time.  It will still make you feel like crud that you quit for so many days, months, years....and still smoked again.  I tell ya people,  this time is it!  NO MORE!    

Well thanks for reading.  Good luck on your journeys. 🙂 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cheri17

Hello...I soooo hear you.  same here.  I also started with a Marlboro and I also gagged.  It was the most disgusting thing I had ever put into my mouth...but yet...here we are 25 years later.  I am new here too and I also need help quitting.  I haven't gone any days YET without one.  When I joined this site it asked me a few questions and picked a date for me.  I have tried to quit probably 5 or 6 times.  The last time was 5 years ago when my 52 year old brother died of emphasema.  How horrible that disease is.  I do not want to die of a smoking related illness.  I repeat that a lot in my head lately it seems to help.  Yesterday I only had two and today a few drags here or there.  My quit date was set for 5/31 but I was thinking that I'd quit on my brothers 5th year death anniversary...thanx to smoking...me or my parents will never see him again.  I soooo want to quit like you....I keep praying every day and I'm taking one day at a time also.  It's the only way.  I have told a few people from were I work and they've been very supportive so far but I only I am the one that feels the pain right now.  My husband is still smoking and has no intentions of quitting any time in the near future...and I have to say he's not being very supportive...but I'm still doing well regardless...I just want to make it through a week without having 1 drag of a cigarette never mind one...well I wish you good luck and I enjoyed reading your message.

0 Kudos
cassie1111

I'm new here too..same story with how it started.....I want to wish both of you luck on your journey.  My quit date is May 24th.  I don't think I could even attempt this if I were living with another smoker and I find those of you who are trying so inspiring!  Of some interest, I found this site because I was looking for reviews on the newest homeopathic quit aid Smoke Remedy...and after reading the reviews and almost dropping 130 bucks on it, I luckily found this lovely place....what a god send I think.  God bless all of  you, hopefully we can help each other out on this journey 🙂

0 Kudos
tammy24

Thank you for your posting, I quit and have thirty one days today. The thought that I dont smoke amazes me its actually almost surreal at times. Nothing good comes easy,  There have been very strong urges to smoke but realizing that they only last 3-5 minutes has really helped me to fight them and win. I take very deep breaths and hold it for a few seconds when the urge gets strong and I always ask God to guard me and help me to stay quit, God wants us to be healthy and vibrant and live a full and happy life. Keep on keeping on, the rewards will shine brightly!

0 Kudos
icandoit10

We can do it!  You have to have faith!  I've been quit 43 days today and am new to this site.  I also started at 14 or 15 yrs old.  My choice back then was Virginia Slims Menthol 120 Lights.  They were sooo long!  Then Marlboro Lights, then on to Doral Lights.  It's hard at times with all the stress life throws at us...but I believe that I am an ex-smoker this time.  I've attempted quitting at least 10 times within the last 24 years.  I'm now 39 years old.  I've tried patches, hypnosis, gum, chantix. etc.  some more than once.  I've always been a closet smoker.  Only my closest friends new and couple of family members, but my youngest daughter 8, didn't know until she saw (caught) me back in March having one and she was devestated.  She gasped, shut the door, ran into the house and into the bathroom, crying all the way.  I followed her and we had a looong conversation.  Now, that was a wake-up call for me.  I quit a week 1/2 later on March 28th.  I began taking a prescription 'Welbuterin'.  It's has helped with the moods.  I can honestly say that I haven't been that moody.  All the other times I will admit, that I was HE** to live with.  So, with that being said.....43 days is my longest quit and it will be for a lifetime - I just know it!   "NOPE" is my motto ank I say it often....Not Another Puff Ever!!!  Good luck to us all and God Bless!!! 

0 Kudos