cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sorice1

What is causing me to eat so much!

I am 74 days clean and this week I'm finding myself wanting to eat all the time! Its horrible and I'm giving into food cravings instead of smoking! Lord I do NOT want to get fat! I am fat to begin with, I couldn't bar becoming any heavier! Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do to stop eating! I had bypass surgery and man I do have alot more energy and can breathe so much better! But what's causing me to want to eat all the time? Ugh

13 Replies
Gai.C

HALT.gif

Gai.C

We trade one thing for another. Eat healthy snacks 

Sorice1

It's so hard, I'm eating all junk and today I ate in the morning mind you till I was so full! So unhealthy! Feel like I'm a glutton for punishment! It's so bad, yes I guess I will buy healthier snacks  and eat better! I will let ya know how I do! 

indingrl

Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on 74 DOF

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

You are the only one who can answer your question. You know yourself, your quit, what's going on in your life. If you need to share, Ex is here 24/7--always ready to listen.

I know why I ate a lot--substitution!!! It took me a while to learn how to live without smoking so food often was my go to. Also talking to a nutritionists might help you get a different perspective on your eating--offer strategies maybe.

Big congratulations on 74!  You've made it work.

sweetplt

Instead of eating...what about taking a walk...even a couple short ones...and drink lots of water...Sorice1 

Congratulations on 74 Days of Freedom...~ Colleen 719 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

The cause?  Probably the same cues that caused you to light up when you smoked.  Hungry?  Angry?  Lonely?   Tired?  Bored?

You need to find something ELSE to do - maybe sip on some ice cold water, or march in place, or take some slow/deep breaths?  Another idea is just not to buy your favorite snack foods that aren't healthy ones.  Frozen grapes are great!  You also might try eating six smaller meals a day, each one having a bit of protein and a fruit or veggie.  Maybe some almonds and a piece of pear, or apple slices and peanut butter, or a small piece of chicken and some carrot sticks.  That will keep your blood sugar more level and maybe reduce the cues to eat.

You quit smoking - getting control of your eating should be a piece of cake (NOT literally!!)

elvan

I ate Sour Patch Kids because they were so sour that l couldn’t eat too many. We comforted ourselves with that hand to mouth thing...cut up a straw & act like you are smoking it. A few pounds can always be lost...give yourself a break. Pulling around oxygen that you can't EVER lose is serious punishment. Move more, eat less, drink lots of water, & keep busy! You are in No Man’s Land & that is a time when you need to hold onto your quit & take extra good care of it.

Go to the little magnifying glass & type in No Man’s Land, look for the blog by JonesCarpeDiem stay close to the site. Frozen fruit is a GREAT snack.

Congratulations on 74 days!

Ellen

The little Jello's give some satisfaction without a lot of calories.

Grapes seem to be in season, they are very satisfying if you wash then and freeze them.

They turn to mush when they thaw out so you have to eat them frozen.