What if I start up again?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

tkingma

You've been quit since 4/1/2020 correct?  What have you been doing to solidify your quit since you quit? 

How would you answer your own question? "What if I start up again?" 

To me it sounds as though you're asking for permission to start again. No one here wants to give you permission to do so. You shouldn't give yourself permission to do so as it took effort to get here and you shouldn't ever want to have another Day 1.  

Do everything you can to not ever take one puff. There are lots of suggestions here on the site how to avoid relapsing. And there are a whole bunch of people here and ready to walk you away from the cliff if you get close to smoking. You must do your part here and reach out to ask for support though before you smoke.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
pir8fan

I will answer your question Flat out!

If you smoke again, you are back where you started!

Where you started was wishing you were where you are now!!      Tommy

elvan

What is going on?  Sounds like you are giving yourself permission to smoke...don't do it, you will regret it.  Stay close to the site, read blogs, pay attention to what is working for others.

Ellen

Giulia

Mark's response is dead on as far as I'm concerned.   You know the truth of that answer for yourself.  Listen to the answer that's coming from that Best of you.  What if you start up smoking again?  Well, I can only speak for myself, but if  I did start smoking again - wow, aside from the money being spent and the health being undermined slowly without my knowing it, aside from going back to the slavery of it all, that pernicious, desperate constant NEED, aside from that niggling background worry of "will I get lung cancer from this," that persistent underground thought always there that I MUST stop smoking, aside from ALL that - there is the thought that if I did start smoking again, I would let myself down.  I would have reneged on my promise to that Best of me.  And also to those who care about me and love me and want the best FOR me.  

As I have journeyed on in my quit, I have strengthened my resolve, my commitment to that Best of me that said "you can do this."  I didn't feel that way in the beginning.  It was a gradual process.  A learning process.  I didn't know, even, what that Best of me might be until I undertook this journey.  But that is what I have learned from it.

I want to say delete that question within you, but without such questions and without answering them for ourselves and coming to conclusions, we don't progress on this tough journey to forever free.  What if you start up again?  You know the answer to that.  Trust that answer.  It's the truth.  My hope is that you never let your quit go!

sweetplt

tkingma You will have to start back to Day 1...and that stinks ... why are you contemplating smoking again...?

Please keep close to us...~ Colleen 

Barbscloud

Right, you'll have to start over.  Remember back how hard that first day was.  What is this about?

Barb

maryfreecig

I don't ask myself that question. I quit. I survived. Then I recovered. Today is the only day I have to take care with others, of myself and so on. Tomorrow and all the what ifs are not my concern. One step, then the next is the work of smobriety.

I second everything said above. What do you think smoking will accomplish? Do you honestly think you'll feel better? Or that the stressful event will magically disappear? I don't want to be mean or rude, but smoking doesn't help anything, and I'm curious why you're thinking about it and really wish you wouldn't!