cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Grammy25

What does a withdrawal symptom feel like??

With everything I am already going through (anxiety, depression, and keeping track of my oxygen level) can someone explain withdrawal symptoms??

Thank you 

41 Replies
Grammy25

Thank you so much for your help

0 Kudos
IrishRose

It can be a casual annoyance or your worst nightmare.  It all depends on how you choose to address the triggers within you when you quit. 

Irish Rose 

I say yes to the above

If you are using nicotine replacements.it is likely psychological

If you are not using nicotine replacements it is likely psychological.

Our memories and emotions connected to smoking drive the urge to smoke.

The nicotine just keeps you coming back.

slight disorientation when you come off nicotine

thinking of smoking based on your smoking routine and ques connected to it.

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you

0 Kudos
desiree465

I think that the withdraw symptoms can be different for everyone. I had a lot of irritability, that was my number 1 symptom. After that I'd say anxiety was the next symptom I'd get and third was I had trouble trying to loose weight. It took a lot longer to loose then it normally would have and someone said that a change in your metabolism could actually be a side affect of quitting. All those things luckily have gone away! I have never heard of a nicotine filter, did it work. I'm guessing you had some withdraw symptoms yourself if it did. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

I think Irishrose is talking about drawn cartoons, not videos.  They were in the old blue and white format.  Perhaps with red writing.  It would show, for example a person with a cup of coffee, and if I recall correctly,  you could click on it and it would give you alternative like drink it with you left hand instead.  After a meal - get up and take a walk.  

The following is pretty much the same material, just from a different source:  Know Your Triggers | Smokefree.gov 

Now on the site you have to create your own alternative to each trigger.  YOU have to do the work.  You have to discover what your triggers are and then find methods for beating them.  Here's an example of what I wrote  in My Quit Plan.  I had quit several years prior, but I just did it as an exercise, to fulfill the requirements for completing the site challenges.

How I Plan to Beat My Tobacco Triggers

Trigger

What can you do to separate from this smoking trigger?

Celebrations

Dance until your feet fall off

Coffee

drink tea

Drinking

stop it for a while

After a Meal

nothing to do about this one, cravings will just be there. Buck up.

Morning Routine

Change it

Being Stressed

Live with it, smoking doesn't de-stress. It's just putting a cigarette in your mouth and inhaling poisons. Take long, slow inhales of peace instead.

Friends Who Smoke

Recognize that they HAVE to. You're free, you don't have to do that any more.

Certain Locations

Not much of a problem. But if necessary imagine you're in a diving bell.

Having Fun

Stop having fun? I don't think so. Cigarettes don't make "fun" more fun. That's stupid thinking.

Relaxing

Cigarettes don't help you relax, they do the opposite.

Mornings

How is this different from morning routine. Rather redundant, no?

Breathing

Re-focus

Reward

Recognize your accomplishment in a different way. Stop and look at what you've done. And smile.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

https://web.archive.org/web/20130123162357/http://www.becomeanex.org/track-your-cigarettes.php 

Beat Your Smoking Triggers: BecomeAnEX  from 2013

Here are two links from 2013.  I see the cartoons but no functionality as you describe. 

EX Community Admin Team
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

https://www.becomeanex.org/docs/fotonovela_english.pdf (Pg 13)

https://www.becomeanex.org/docs/becomeanEXbook.pdf (Pg 13)

I also found these two pdfs and there are a couple "Trigger Exercises" that describe steps like 

sim88999 mentions but it is not complete list of all triggers and exercises for each trigger.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you for the helpful information

0 Kudos
Giulia

What I said above didn't answer your your question Grammy (that was more in response to IrishRose.)  My withdrawal symptom was mainly experiencing a constant tension in my gut area, in the diaphragm.  Like a pressure, almost like a feeling of being hungry, but not quite the same.  I'm experiencing it now, bringing that memory back.  It's also kind of like that experience you have in your gut when you're trying to hold yourself back from crying.  It's right in that diaphragm area.  The other thing I felt was a certain fuzzy-headedness, lack of concentration.  But each of us experiences different symptoms.  Fortunately they go away after a while.  But you have to go through the "while" to get to the other side.