cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mieczdj

What do you look forward to?

Before I quit I heard about all of the benefits.  Your teeth will be whiter.  You won't smell bad anymore.  Your health will be better.  Etc.  Day 3 and something unexpected happened.  My normally unrelenting allergies have lessened.  I can smell again.  I didn't even realize how much I missed the subtle smell of food, perfumes, and even a car exhaust.  I am enjoying this reborn sensation quite a lot.  That made me start thinking of what else I can look forward to.  My sense of taste sharpening,  walking up a flight of stairs and not losing my breath, using my life as a lesson to my grandkids, one day, on why they shouldn't smoke.  What do all the newest Exes look forward to?  What were some of the surprise benefits of quitting for some of you that have more time in?

Tags (1)
16 Replies
Giulia

FREEDOM - from the constant need to smoke.  From the slavery of it.  From having to make sure I had my pack of cigarettes with me wherever I went.  Freedom from the fear of running out late at night and having to dash out first thing in the morning to get a pack.  Freedom from the withdrawals, from that desperate NEED.  But the surprise for me, like you, was the immediate ability to smell scents I hadn't in YEARS.  I quit 13 years ago and still feel like I have the nose of a dog now.  I can smell the most subtle of differences on the air.  It's stunning.

Giana

Cigarettes are expensive. Vape juice and coils are expensive. I’m looking forward to saving money. I’m looking forward to not feeling like I’m missing out on “something”. I’m looking forward to the point where it doesn’t even phase me to see someone smoking or vaping. I’ll pray for them to be free of it along with better health. 

Mandolinrain

wow, thats a loaded question, 

I smell better, I have more energy, I am not as temperamental as I used to be, I think clearer. Id say thats the top of list for me along with so much more. I am near 5 year mark and it just gets better every year

MarilynH

One of the things I found is that I can handle stressful situations much better without the crutch of cigarettes.....

elvan

My self esteem went up and I have found that I am not afraid to take chances that I would have been terrified to take when I was smoking.  I am PROUD of myself.

Really good question.

Ellen

stAn3

Not even thinking about smoking for days, weeks, months at a time.

I’m only day 17, but I played two hours of tennis the other day and I wasn’t out of breath. It was amazing. I look forward to more of these positive body changes, especially on my skin. I always felt like there was a tinge of grayish yuck coming out of my pores. Gross. I look forward to not spending the hundreds of dollars a month. I look forward to not having to stand outside in the cold. I look forward to being nervous I smell when someone comes near me. I can go on and on. Wow, what benefits!!