cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tyndallgw

What did you hate most about smoking?

As you all know, one of the major psychological struggles encountered by many quitters is the sense of loss associated with never having another puff....it's almost like the loss of an old friend.  The old nicotine demon can easily get into your head telling all sorts of lies just to get you to light up one more time.  In reality, however, we all know how we detested many of the things associated with smoking.  I found it useful last night to remind myself of some of these things.  What about you?  What did you hate?   

33 Replies
Giulia

Emptying and cleaning out ashtrays.

Jerica_82

The guilt is probably at the top of the list for me.  I was a closet smoker and went to great lengths to hide it, mask it, deny it any way I could.  I think though, in a way, that's what saved me and has kept me from turning back!  If I felt free to smoke comfortably whenever/wherever in front of whoever, quitting would have been so much harder!  I can't imagine smoking now after over 2 1/2 years.  I can't imagine how I'd be able to face my husband if he found out or how shocked and disappointed my children would be.  I tried to "cope" with stress by smoking, which actually caused me more stress than anything.  Never again! 

MarilynH

YAY for Smokefree living and YAY for each and every Day WON because LIFE really is Grand without a Cigarette in Hand......

DavesTime

Jerica, I was a closet smoker, too. I resonate wit everything you said.  I'm closing in on two years of freedom.

Gai.C

The way my hair and clothes smelled. 

tyndallgw

Sad to say, but my nose was so shot from smoking that I couldn't even smell the buggers on me.

virgomama

I hated tne paranoia of wondering if I smelled like smoke. Both on my person and my breath.

tyndallgw

Something that I remember hating was the panic I would feel when I had to jump on a plane to Asia for business.  14 or more hrs on a plane with no smokes.

indingrl

Thank you for asking - what I HATED most - hmmmmmmm - When I was in a HURRY and went to take MY cigarette out of MY mouth quickly - the cigarette was STUCK to MY lip and ripped the skin right OFF - ohhhhhhhh man I HATED that - ouch

Jen_819

Ugh yes!!!!