cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tyndallgw

What did you hate most about smoking?

As you all know, one of the major psychological struggles encountered by many quitters is the sense of loss associated with never having another puff....it's almost like the loss of an old friend.  The old nicotine demon can easily get into your head telling all sorts of lies just to get you to light up one more time.  In reality, however, we all know how we detested many of the things associated with smoking.  I found it useful last night to remind myself of some of these things.  What about you?  What did you hate?   

33 Replies

I hated the dishonesty about it. All  NicoLies! I wasn't living my values.

beazel

The cost, and the guilt that came with wasting money on those filthy buggers.

tyndallgw

I agree....my premium cigars were really putting a dent in my pocket book.

Sootie

#1---THE SMELL!

#2---THE COST!!!

#3---Just a little thing but when you would light one sometimes the smoke or match smoke would go right in your eye.......painful....really hated that!

Jen_819

Or an ash oouch!!!!

tyndallgw

....or singe an eyebrow.

MarilynH

I hated sitting outside in all kinds of weather coughing and choking and nearly horking up a lung trying to take a haul on a cancer stick whew BUT thankfully NOT anymore because I don't do that anymore.....

tyndallgw

Halalujah!

Yes to all the things everyone has listed so far! For me, it's how they controlled so much of what I did - I was always planning when I could have a cigarette. And I definitely was in denial about how much they controlled me. 

elvan

The smell, sneaking around looking for a place to smoke, the time it stole from my kids then & now. Really hated smoking but l was really addicted.

Ellen