cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

What Do You Know Now That You Didn't Know When You Got Here?

2-7.jpg

Put on your thinking cap

44262FD700000578-4866016-image-a-20_1505119369623.jpg

Yes, you may scratch your head if that helps

200020.jpg

Okay, if you can't think of anything right now, I'm planting a seed for you to consider what you've learned,so,

that you can answer tomorrow. 

24 Replies
Barbscloud

I learned that I couldn't do it alone.   I need the support from all you Exer's.

I learned that quitting is a choice and therefore relapse is a choice. So despite statistics I have 100% reassurance of Success! Thoughts and feelings are not actions! I decide my actions!

elvan

I learned to FEEL again...and I learned that it was okay, that I did not have to stuff my feelings, that by NOT stuffing them, I was growing a little bit at a time.  The psychological addiction is incredibly powerful and I am not sure I really accepted that before.

Giulia

I learned that offering support to others going through their journeys helps to reinforce one's own commitment and is a wonderful tool for quit maintenance. 

(Great question, Dale.)

princessdeb

Wow...I've only been smoke free for 2 days. Before I discovered EX  my knowledge about smoking and nicotine was limited. I've been here reading and reading and I can't seem to stop reading:)  the knowledge that I've gained brings me HOPE...which I've never had when trying to quit...always feel defeated.

Great question Dale!  Gave me something to reflect upon.

Deb 

marciem

Besides learning more about addiction in general, what hit home for me was that the only reason a cigarette seemed so "great" was that it was relieving the withdrawals from the previous cigarette... all the while setting me up for the next withdrawal/cigarette cycle,  I might add! 

IrishRose

I learned...

The addiction is real, it's powerful and it's deadly.

I am stronger than I ever thought myself to be.

I would be blessed with a group of wonderful friends on this site who would help me help myself.

Irish Rose    

Kimshine

I learned that I was actually an addict. For so many years, I believed that I had a nasty habit of smoking.

I have also learned that I am the master of my own destiny and the only way that I will ever smoke again is If I choose to.

Legend

I learned about this addiction and that I could get help here or I would have kept relapsing.

0 Kudos
shashort

Yep you guessed it I am behind in reading but couldn't pass them one up as it is a great blog and discussion on what we learned. First  Think I learned the smoking was an addiction. SAY WHAT!!  I always thought it was just an ole stinking habit. I don't like the sound of addiction so I had to prove to myself I could survive the addiction.  I learned there are great people in this community who helped me learn different strategies and mantras that helped me get through such as SINAO, NOPE, I don't do that anymore, keep them away from my face.  I think the biggest thing I  learned  I am way stronger than the Nico dude and since quitting I have gained  higher self esteem and confidence in myself. Thanks Dale for all you do here.