cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

vanessa11

Wellbutrin users?

I haven't posted here in a while, but I found my abilities to quit to be very difficult. I found out my lung capacity is not as great as it should be for someone my age, and I tried to quit cold turkey, but due to my high stress life, it made my life worse and I thought I was going to push my boyfriends head into the wall...it wouldn't have worked out very well. I went to the school doctor to ask for chantix, but instead she gave me a prescription for wellbutrin. I was just wondering if anybody here has used it and if there is anything I should know before taking it?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
missy8

i am on wellbutrin, however i take it for IBS, so if you have digestive issues then you have a double whammie! lol but really because i've taken it for IBS for so long it doesn't really have a mental effect on me for smoking, so i don't consider it my quitting agent. i never had a bad taste or anything like that, but the one thing i can tell you is that since i am pretty much on it long term, you are not supposed to drink on it, however my dr said if you have 2 or 3 responsibly you will b e ok. Just make sure you monitor yourself if you drink otherwise it may adversely affect you. other than that i have heard god things about it for quitting, and who knows, it might actually have an impact on me but i just don't realize it since i've been taking it for IBS for so long! good luck!
0 Kudos
john-h

Using wellbutrin - I still crave but it REALLY takes the EDGE off the craving for me. Need to take a week before quitting, so it is in your system. I'm on day 12 of quitting but have been on the med for 19 days. But if you continue to smoke after being on the meds for a week or two you can defeat the purpose by acclimating yourself to the combo of meds and nicotine
0 Kudos
robin18

Wellbutrin has been my life saver. It has made all the difference in quiting and staying quit for me. I stop taking it for 3 weeks and the cravings came back really bad. I do not want to be taking medication forever, but what ever keeps me from smoking for now I will do. The last thing I want to do is relapse. Good luck.

Robin
0 Kudos
janet28

Hi Vanessa,
I used wellbutrin years ago when I tried to quit. It was the longest I have ever quit. It helped tremendously and I have
been considering trying it again. Hang in there and good luck.
0 Kudos
jim23

Vanessa, I haven't had any luck with Welbutrin, but it didn't seem to help. I may have expected too much. I hope it works for you and best wishes in your endeavor.
0 Kudos
slyve

I am on it right now.
0 Kudos
lorrie3

HI
I TAKE WELLBUTRIN INITIALY IT WAS NOT FOR SMOKING.WHEN I WENT TO MY DR. SHE DOUBLED THE AMOUNT I TAKE WHEN I TOLD HER I WAS GOING TO QUIT SMOKING.I AM A TOTALY SANE BIPOLAR.I HAVE TAKEN EVERY MED YOU CAN IMAGINE,THIS ONE IS AWSOME NO NASTY SIDE EFFECTS,IT BLOCKS SOMETHING IN UR BRAIN THAT EASES UP ADDICTION AND LET ME TELL YOU I WAS RELUCTANTWHEN SHE AID DOUBLE DOSE.IT WORKS .OR SO I THINK I QUIT 9/11/08 I HAVE SCREWED UP TWICE AND IT REALLY WASENT FROM AN OVERWHELMING URGE IT WAS HABIT I WAS ON THE PHONE ND JUST PICKED IT UP DIDNT REALIZE WHAT I HAD DONE UNTIL I WAS DIZZY.MY HUSB SMOKES SO I AM NOT KICKING MYSELF.ANYWAY THE WELLBUTRIN SHOULD WORK OR I HOPE IT WILL FOR YOU.I TAKE 450 MG DAILY 150 MG 3 TIMES A DAY.LIKE I SAID WHAT I LIKE THE MOST IS NO SIDE EFFECTS.MEDS WORK DIFFERENTLY FOR PEOPLE I HAVE A FRIEND WHO TOOK CHANTIX AND SHE IS STILL SMOKING.YOU HAVE TO BE MENTALY READY OR THE PHYSICAL WILL NOT HELP NO PILL NOTHING.I AM 45 AND WAS TOLD I HAVE COPD AND THE START OF ENPHYSEMA IDOUBT THAT IS SPELLED RIGHT.ANTWAY AFTER THAT AND BEING HANDED AN INHALER I WAS ON MY WAY TO QUITTING .PERSONALY I THINK THE MENTAL FAR OUTWEIGHS ANYTHING WHEN U HAVE THE MINDSET THEN U R READY.I JUST HAD A DR GIVE ME A JUMPSTART AND KICK IN THE BUTT.AT THIS POINT I WOULD RATHER BREATHE THAN SMOKE.
TAKE THE WELBUTRIN I THINK IT IS AN EXELLENT CHOICE. AND THE HUGE PLUS IS VERY VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS,BEST OF LUCK 2 YOU
LORRIE
0 Kudos
marc

You can take it and as long as you don't get depressed or have sleep problems from it (main problems that can happen) it may be useful. You should be taking chantix with it and some other form of nicotine replacement such as patches, inhalers, gum etc. And of course stay away for cigs.
Hugs
0 Kudos
marilyn4

Hi Karen, my name is Marilyn, I started taking buproprion(wellbutrin) a month ago. When I saw your reply I wanted to know if you had any GI problems. This past week I am constantly burping and gassy. It doesn't seem to matter if I've eaten anything or not. Did this happen to you?
0 Kudos