Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
ahimsa

Back again after going all over with programs and such like. Some were great but not enough to get me off the death sticks. So, I'll check in here and see if this attempt can put me over the edge from smoker to EX. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome back @ahimsa   and glad your getting back on track.   Lots of programs and aids can really help us be successful. but we still have to do the work.  That's why I failed for 50 years.  Reintroduce yourself to the program.  What tools will you use, identify your triggers, etc.   Remember to reach out before you smoke.  That's what were here for.

You can do this one day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos
ahimsa

Thanks so much for the welcome. I smoked for the last 50 years, so I know you know how hard this is. 

I haven't stopped working on identifying triggers etc. while I was gone and have a better Idea of what might work this time. Encouragement is a big part of it and well, if this site is associated with Mayo Clinic, surely it's a good resource. 

Giulia

Welcome @ahimsa  The one thing that made the biggest difference in my quit was support.  A program is only as good as the amount of attention you pay it and work you put into it.  Here's a little primer:  Quitting is a Skill that CAN be Learned   Glad you've joined us.  

0 Kudos
bikerpose

Hello, I'm Kay and just selected my Quit Date.  I had much fear setting this date, but I really need to quit smoking.  I feel like I just don't want to, but that leaves me feeling quite hopeless about myself.  I'm old enough where  it's just not wise to continue this bad habit.  I'm hoping this community will give me the incentive and support I need to finally go through with this quit.  I have 2 weeks to work on my plan.  I hope I can navigate this website and get the support I need.  I see many successes and hope to have my own success soon.

ahimsa

Kay! Welcome! It's a good group of supporters I found here. Check in maybe first thing each day to see what's up and offer any questions or concern you have. And sometimes, I find I return to re-read  what folks have said about their quit journeys to distract, pass time, or end a craving. If I'm reading about quitting, I am only reinforcing I can do this. 

Read everything you can here. And take a look on Conversation -Journals/Blogs at the top of your page.

If you're in a crunch and need some assistance pretty quick that might be a good place to post also. 

Take care, treat yourself with friendly humor sometimes and take heart that you are not alone on this journey to freedom. 

Barbscloud

@bikerpose Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  You've come to the right place for information, advice and support.

Can I suggest you create a post under Journals to introduce yourself to the community.   You're post will draw more attention and support from fellow quitters.

We're here for you.  Educate, prepare, pick a quit date and join us on your journey.

Barb

ifeeddogs

Hi I'm Josh and I'm working on quitting, got addicted to Zyn over the last few years and after a few unsuccessful attempts to quit and after learning from some past mistakes I am gearing up for the last push now. I've been stepping down the dose over the last 2 weeks and my final day on the reduced dose should be on the 13th. Really optimistic this time and excited to find this community!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ifeeddogs Welcome.  It seems that others also struggle with that product as well. What turned you on to it? Did you use other nicotine products and switch to Zyn? 

EX Community Admin Team
ifeeddogs

I've smoked in the past but quit within a few months, not too bad when I did that. Worked overnight at 7-11 back in 2019 and another employee recommended them as a way to stay awake more easily during shifts which they do a pretty good job at, but as you build tolerance you start having to use a pretty ridiculous amount. Tried quitting those starting a few months back and found it was WAY harder to cut Zyn than Smoking (Think it's the dose, one pack of Zyn 6mg/day works out to 90mg/day of nicotine) just recently managed to wean down to a dose I would be comfortable quitting from. 

0 Kudos