Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
elvan

jdeezy84    Welcome to EX, please read everything you can find about nicotine addiction & remember that this is a journey & not an event.

Ellen

Linn2331

Hey there! New here too!! It has helped more since I found it than in all the past week plus.  You will love it here or at least I already do! Congratulations!

ahimsa

Hi-

I haven't been active much. I am still in denial that this time I really am going to quit. So, coming here helps convince me that this time I am really going to not give up if I slip up, but just start over, if that means starting over every single day. Coming here may help me through the withdrawal that I know is coming May 2 and the weeks beyond that until I can teach my neurons a different way to feel and experience the world. 

I wish you well. Keep on going, no matter what!

ahimsa

May you be safe from danger. May you be healthy. May you be happy. May you live with ease. 

0 Kudos
KtCuz

Hi. 
I’m Katie. Today is my 24th day as a non-smoker. I have not used nicotine replacement therapy. Just cold turkey.  I feel like I’m going insane most days. I don’t want to smoke, I realize how much it kills me, but I feel as though I was more sane as a smoker. The struggle is real. And it sucks in the worst possible ways. But, I can’t go back. I don’t really want to go back. I just want to feel okay for maybe an hour or so. Because then, I’d have a little glimpse of what life will be like once I learn how to deal with feelings and emotions and life in a healthy way. Ugh. Took my 42 years to foster all of my bad habits, going to take a lot longer than 24 days to recover from them. Exhausting. But must persevere. 

Lisajb60

That is wonderful. Keep your chin up and hang in there. 

ahimsa

Thank you. I'm still getting used to the site and find it difficult to find my own replies still and any posts I've made. 

I suppose with time, I'll get the system down. It seems like a friendly community if not too active, at least for what I've explored so far. I'll learn as I go.

Carry on. 

-ahimsa

0 Kudos
ahimsa

Hi-

I plan to go cold turkey myself come May 2. I've tried tapering and using Replacement nicotine, but if there is any drug in me, I just give in to the desire to smoke just one more. So. I've been studying what helps with withdrawal and found that deep breathing helps. I tried it while I have been "practicing" my quit and it feels almost miraculous when I am doing it. If you have time, take about 5 minutes, (set a timer) and just breathe in and out to steady your head and body and unify them. I've been practicing this some to build confidence and experience that it works. 

If it doesn't work for you, at least you have spent 5 minutes doing something other than wanting nicotine.

Your pleasure neurons are just feeling cranky. They don't know any other way yet. Yet. We are going to train our brains to find that source of "feeling OK" in a non-harming, and wholesome way, instead of slowing damaging our bodies so a big corporation can make a lot of money off our habit. Using nicotine isn't "normal." We just have trained our brains to think so. 

Hang in there. You've got courage. Wish me luck as I get ready for Tuesday. Throw out the stuff that supports the habit, get outdoors and really focus on breathing the fresh spring air. We are all so lucky to have the air the planet provides us so we can live. Without air, well. . .we just don't have our life at all. Nothing lives without oxygen, not plants, animals, fish, the planet herself. 

May you be safe from danger. May you be healthy. May you be happy. May you live with ease. 

-ahimsa

KtCuz

Thanks @ahimsa ! I swear I knew about the benefits of the breath. I just completely forgot. Sometimes  I feel like my greatest talent is spinning my wheels. I just get so stuck on a thought and can’t get away from it. Thank you for the gentle reminder. 

it’s funny in a way... the connection between breathing in cigarette smoke and breathing in fresh air. Each their own form of a meditation. My heart breaks and bursts with pride for all of us battling this habit. 

I’m praying for all of you, please pray for me.  ✌🏻 

0 Kudos
Ktbugsnluv

Hello. My name is katie and I'm from upstate ny. This will be the 4th time I tried to quit smoking. I really want to succeed this time. My husband and I both agreed it's time to quit. So far, I haven't touched a cigarette in 5 days. The issue is, I started vaping instead. Then when I need a break from vaping I'll chew on some nicerette gum. It's pretty much my cruch so, hopefully this website will help me walk without one.

Thanks

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ktbugsnluv wrote:

Hello. My name is katie and I'm from upstate ny. This will be the 4th time I tried to quit smoking. I really want to succeed this time. My husband and I both agreed it's time to quit. So far, I haven't touched a cigarette in 5 days. The issue is, I started vaping instead. Then when I need a break from vaping I'll chew on some nicorette gum. It's pretty much my crutch so, hopefully this website will help me walk without one.

Thanks

Welcome Kate. Glad you're here. Congrats on being cigarette free! Hopefully we can help you quit vaping as well and eventually be nicotine free.

Did your husband join as well?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team