Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
Rosie1917

Thank you! I really appreciate how welcoming this community is. The message "Stay Close" is so warm. Thank you.

KMSaunders04

Hello!  I have been a smoker for 21 years, since I was 18.  Today is my quit day, and I'm really thankful to have this community on my journey.  I am using a combo of Wellbutrin and nicotine patches, it's been 12 hours since my last cigarette and I'm feeling.....okay!  I will get through the day and look forward to the journey with you all.

maryfreecig

Good to hear from you KMSaunders04. Congratulations on starting your quit. This Ex community is already rooting for you. Blog, read, stay tuned in as much as you wish. Great attitude  I will get through the day... Yes you will one step at a time!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the KMSaunders04 and congrats on your first day.  I also used Welbutrin along with nicotrol inhalers.   In addiction I attended a  smoking cessation class and found  the Ex a week before my quit.  This combination of tools has led to a successful quit.  If you haven't done so already, read as much as can on the site.  There is a wealth of information and advice that will help you to be successful.  We're here for you, so just reach out anytime you need encouragement.

Barb

KMSaunders04

Thanks Barb!  It's great to hear that the similar tools have led to your successful quit.

Brandishae

I’m going to try the same combo when I quit. Proud for your twelve hours and a little comforted for my own first twelve hours!

Brandishae

Good Morning!! My name is Brandi and I’ve been a smoker for 25 years. My quit date is next Monday 2/1. I was going to attempt today but I saw my doctor this morning and she prescribed me Wellbutrin and patches and advised I take the medication for 7 days ahead of my quit date then use patches and the tools here to quit. I think that’s a good idea because I don’t think I prepared enough for today. She also gave me a hypnotherapist phone number. I am 38 and since I have smoked so long it is starting to really scare me what it is doing to my health. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and I don’t want to become sick or put my family through me being sick. I don’t have kids. I lost my best doggy friend last February and of course got another puppy and I need to be here for him too! I’ve been on this site the last few days and am comforted by how helpful and supportive and understanding everyone is. I’ve never tried to quit before because I do love smoking still- I think my desire to be smoke free is finally stronger than my desire to keep being a smoker. 

Barbscloud

Welcome again Brandishae   I'm happy to see you spoke with your doctor about obtaining some quitting aids.  A new puppy is the perfect tool to quit.  Walking a great way to distract yourself from smoking. Use this time to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and work on your quit plan.  What will you do instead of smoking?  It's important to learn new associations.  

Glad you found us.  We're here to support you, so just reach out anytime you need encouragement or want to share your journey.   Look forward to celebrating with you on the 1st.  

You might consider "Posting to My Blog" to introduce yourself to the rest of the community.  It's a great way to receive support.  And don't forget about taking "The Daily Pledge".  It's also a great way to stay on track each day.

One day at a time.

Barb

Brandishae

Thanks so much. 

0 Kudos

That’s exactly it! I think I felt that same way. I still wanted to smoke but my desire to quit was stronger. You are way ahead of the game for quitting younger and earlier than some of us. You definitely will stop doing damage to your organs. My pulmonologist used to say smoking one less is better than smoking one more. I hope you will read all the helpful articles here and also other’s journals and stories. There’s so much good advise here. Great job preparing for your quit. With the aids you should have easier transition but it will still take a lot of mental power and will power. You’re fighting yourself for a healthier life and for life! Welcome.