Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
annibru829

Hi all,

My name's Anna. I recently turned 25, and I have been smoking about half a pack a day for 4 years now. I used to smoke when I was 17-19, but only 1-3 cigs a day, so it was easy to quit for a year and a half for my partner at the time (who ended up being a piece of sh*t). Smoking was my way of rebelling against that relationship. But by this point, I don't think about it anymore and I'm focused on my future self. I've been losing weight and eating healthier, and another thing I want to incorporate into my future vision of myself is becoming physically strong, fit, and flexible. I know it's going to be incredibly easier to accomplish that if I'm not smoking half a pack a day.

I had my last pack of cigs on Aug 31, and then bummed a single cigarette yesterday from a friend. I haven't had a cigarette at all today, which feels great! 

I'm joining this program because- while I know I feel great now- I've tried to quit smoking maybe 15-20 times in the last 4 years, failing each time for one reason or another (usually because I have this idea that I can be "just a social smoker" which never works for more than a day). My roommate smokes a pack a day which makes it a lot harder for me. I know I can't talk to her about it because she's on a different path than I am; so, I was hoping to chat with people on here who are on a more similar journey as me to

mutually motivate each other to stay cig free. 

Thanks for reading!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex annibru829   I'm glad your found us.  First of all educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX These two steps making quitting possible.  As you already learned, we can't smoke just one.  Each time you do that, your reintroducing nicotine into your body and feeding the addiction again.  Make the commitment and reach out anytime you need encouragement or to share your journey.   

I recommend posting to "Post to  My Blog"  to introduce yourself to the community and to receive support from many fellow quitters.

Barb

Tsaddik1

You have come to the right place. You will find the most loving, compassionate and judgment-free people here. Avail yourself to the many educational articles here. Also,

you'll find "Best of Ex" to be helpful. If you have questions, 

ASK THEM! You'll most time receive an immediate response.Good luck!!!

~Gary~

0 Kudos
tyndallgw

Hi Anna, Welcome.

Quitting smoking is probably the best decision you could ever make.  I won't kid you, it isn't easy.  But the people here at EX can really help when you need an encouraging word. 

If you read some of the testimonies here on EX, you will notice that a lot of the people that have quit were smokers for decades (myself included).  Its almost universally true that the one thing they regret most is not having quit sooner in life.  You have that chance.  Its far better, for a number of reasons, for you to quit today rather than having another puff and coming back to this site in 40 years from now.  

Hang in there and reach out whenever you need.

-George

notoday

Hi everyone, I'm Carl and this is my second day of this journey. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome notoday‌(Carl)!

How is your second day going?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome Carl.  Reach out is you need some encouragement.  We're here for you.

Barb

0 Kudos
tyndallgw

Welcome Carl.  

0 Kudos
MR_Pete

Greetings,

My name is Pete and I took my last dip of skoal exactly 2 weeks ago after a can a day habit of 40 years. I am now using herbal snuff and a 14mg NRT patch to get through the bumps. 40 years is a long time (2/3 of my life) to be doing the same thing day in and day out with a addictive substance. My head is in the game to quit for me this time, not wife, kids etc. I know I will be done with dip and stay on my quit since this is my choice and my decision alone.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome Carl, notoday  Kudos on your second day! 

Welcome Pete  MR_Pete .  "My head is in the game to quit for me this time, not wife, kids etc."  That's the way to approach it.  We have to ultimately quit for ourselves.  40 years IS a long time.  Two weeks free is longer.  Kudos.  Keep going.