Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
Stevd1979

Hello my name is Steve. I am a 40 year old truck driver I have smoked from the age of 15 and I am ready to kick the habbit!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Stevd1979

Glad you're here Steve.  Glad you're ready to kick the habit as well. It may not be easy especially with separating yourself from it especially while driving but it will be really good for your overall health.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Charlé and I am a smoker. Sadly, I've been smoking for about more than a decade and I am only 24 years old. You do the math. I've been around it my entire life. Both parents smoke as well as most of my family. I'm tired of everything associated with cigarettes. Now is the time for me to quit. I would hate for my son to grow up smoking cigs because he seen his mom doing so. So with that being said, I would appreciate all the encouragement and positivity that you guys can provide. I need it all! 

Thank You!! 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi charlienonsmokr‌, Welcome!

You've come to the right place. There are lots of great people and posts here to help you with your journey.  You'll need to stay involved and do some work though to be successful. Quitting isn't magic and it won't happen on it's own. There is lots of evidence here that it is rewarding though.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex charlienonsmokr   Have you picked a quit date?   Are you going to use and aid or quit cold turkey?  Spend time on the site educating yourself about nicotine addiction and creating a quit plan.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  Knowledge and preparation lead to success.   That's great that you're deciding to quit while you're still young.  You're preventing numerous health issues by quitting early.   Most of us have smoked a very long time.   I smoked for 50 years and just celebrated 2 years smoke free yesterday.   The people on this site are great examples that you can do it too.  The support here is fabulous.   I know how much it contributed to my success.  We're here to support you any time you need encouragement or just want to share your journey.  

I signed up from text messages from the Ex prior to my quit.  I found them very motivating and added an element of excitement leading up to my quit date.  Also, taking the Daily Pledge not to smoke each day it a great way to begin your day smoke free.

Barb

finsteroc

Hi my name is Dee and I’m leaving my cigarettes behind me today and I’m feeling a little worried but I’m trying not to think about it.

Barbscloud

Welcome finsteroc  Congrats on your first day smoke free.  Reach out if you need some support.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

finsteroc‌  (Dee) 

Glad you're here. Such a great decision to leave them behind.  Get involved here. The more time you spend learning and preparing the better you'll feel.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Cece8888

Hello. I just turned 50 and am new here. After my divorce, and when I started dating again (three years ago), I picked up closet smoking whenever I was stressed. I am now finding that I am smoking more and more for various types of stress. I go from not smoking for a week or two to smoking 4-5 packs a week. I have noticed that my legs are very stiff and sore when I get up in the morning despite exercise and a good diet. This is scaring me a lot.

i am in a relationship two years and he has no idea. None of my friends know I smoke. The only ones who do are my kids because they catch me. It’s awful. I have been reading Allen Carr’s book… I am not quite finished with it yet but almost done. My aim all week has been to quit by the end of the week. It is Thursday. And I’d like to get through today without smoking, but my official day will be tomorrow… But I actually mean to not smoke today. I really feel ready for this. But I don’t think I can do it without support. I have been trying. The second I get stressed out my first go to is a cigarette. Well… As a single mom with three kids and a new job… And a blooming relationship…And aging parents… And coronavirus… There are always things to be stressed out about!

I need to quit this once and for all. Thank you for listening. Glad I found this place.

Barbscloud

If you haven't done so already educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan. My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX   Knowledge and preparation are key to success.   This is the time to have your plan in place so when stress arises (and it will) you'll have the tools in place to cope.  Today or tomorrow, either quit day is great.  

We're here to support you.  If you need encouragement or just want to share you're journey, just reach out.  I recommend taking the Daily Pledge each morning to begin your day on the right track.  One day at at time!

Barb