cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sylvia_Deitz

Weird Feeling on Face

Hi... I've been quit cold turkey for 2mo. & 6 days. Things are getting easier, but I have a really weird symptom. It started the first day I quit. My nose, lips & face have the strangest feeling. When I touch it, it's like a delayed reaction to the touch. I can feel it longer than my finger is actually on it. It's sort of like a numb & tingly feeling. Sorry, it's just so hard to explain, but I wondered if you had ever heard of anyone else with this feeling. I vaguely feel it on the rest of my body, but nothing like on my face. Even if I don't touch it, I can just feel a feeling. I hope someone can help me figure this out. Also, I should mention that since I quit, I've been walking 2 mi. a day which should certainly help with my circulation, so I don't see how circulation could be the problem. Just before I quit, I passed all the heart tests with flying colors, but failed the lung test. I was diagnosed with emphysema & COPD. That's why I quit, since I wanted to live & not die gasping for breath. The only other time in my life that I felt this weird feeling on my face was about a year ago when I was really sick with bronchitis. It went away when I got better & was able to smoke my usual amount of cigarettes. Well, I have hardly coughed once since I quit smoking, so I know I don't have bronchitis or no need to cough the congestion up, since there isn't anything in there to cough up. I sent an email, but I thought if I posted here, maybe someone other than the Dr. could help me.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mozee

Hi Sylvia,
I think I may know what's causing this, but it doesn't have anything to do with cigarettes. You should see your doctor first, but I have had feelings like this for several years. At first it was a kind of tingling, but then it started to feel like someone was using a cheese grater on my face, or sometimes at the top of my thigh. Finally, I broke out in a strange rash that was like small boils in a line. I went to the doctor, and he said it was shingles. I thought I had never had chicken pox (where the shingles virus comes from), but I must have had a very light case. When my children (all four of them) came down with chicken pox, I took care of them (what a delightful two months...) but didn't get the chicken pox. So check with your doctor. It could be something that's treatable—there is a shingles vaccine, and you can get on with your quit program and two miles a day.
0 Kudos