cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Andstillirise

Weight gain phobia

Hi , I’m sure this sounds silly to most people . I stopped smoking 4 days ago . I’ve smoked for 25 years and it’s aleays been fear of weight gain that’s stood in the way . 

Ive been a vegetarian for years , briskly walk 8 miles a day and am fit . I don’t want to gain any weight!!!

im doing okay so far not smoking . Constipated and slight headache but not too bad . 

Im having straight up panic attacks though about gaining weight though . It makes me want to smoke again . 

Pleaae help ! I know it’s irrational and quitting is healthier than gaining a few pounds . 

Has anyone not gained weight after quitting. ??

Tags (1)
39 Replies
Beck37

Everyone else might see skinny but that’s not what we see when we look in the mirror....

Sent from my iPad

jackrink

Hello there. Hope you are still not smoking!   I quit two months ago at the Mayo Clinic Residential Treatment Program. Their emphasis was on quitting through education and medical care and group and one-on-one therapy, but there was an entire day of the 8 day program focused on wellness, as well as wellness lectures. Not gaining weight (maintaining a healthy weight) is just one part of wellness. We learned that one of the MOST important helps in quitting is exercise because of how it stimulates dopamine in the brain. I have not gained any weight since I quit, but I have started a better daily exercise program than I had before I quit (I purchased and ride my exercise bike for 25 mins a day). I already had obtained my ideal weight through a vegan lifestyle change, so I was not really expecting a weight change. I urge you to maintain your walking program and perhaps to get a doctor's appointment to learn more about getting your heart rate up to the right level for the right amount of time each day.

Andstillirise

Hi Jack , 

Day 9 smoke free . Congrats ! Your comment was so inspiring to me . I’ve been a vegetarian for years and always have exercised so I don’t expect  to lose any weight . Just don’t want to gain any . 

Yes !!! I totally agree the exercises help with dopamine! Not sure I could quit without being able to exercise because I just feel better mentally . 

My only current issue I’m having is constipation. And I’m drinking a ton of water 

0 Kudos
jackrink

Hello Andstillrise, I am so happy for you! Wow. Are you going cold turkey or using something simple like a patch like I did? I had to have the doctor for that though, but without the support of the team of the mayo clinic including the doctors, I couldn’t do it. I had tried the patch myself under the guidance of my family doctor, but that failed.

Hmmmmm….. the constipation must be very annoying. As a vegan I learned about the importance of plant materials in my diet. Why don’t you focus on eating oatmeal with cranberries or apples each day, and getting also more whole grains like rice or whole grain flour breads to put some bulk into your system. Vegetables and fruits galore too, girl. Stay in touch!

Jack Rink

jackrink77@gmail.com

Andstillirise

Just quit cold turkey . I quit in my late 20s for SIX YEARS ! One night hanging out with friends , I thought I could smoke one and still maintaini my quit . Nope . 

That’s great the patched worked well for you . I’m not against an any aids and if I feel like I need them , I’m the first to speak up . 

Called my dr about the constipation and she said it’s not an uncommon side effect of quitting , especially the first few months . Ugh ! Total drag. 

Funny ...I eat oatmeal and blueberries almost every morning or a green smoothie for breakfast . 

Definitely need to eat more wheat and fiber in other meals though . 

Thanks for your support , Jack ! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You might also try soaking a couple of prunes in a mug w/hot water and letting them sit until cool. They aren't as sickening as prune juice or the ones in cans.  You might also take a stool softener.

Nancy

jackrink

Ho are you doing today? You are welcome for the support, we all need it!

Jack Rink

jackrink77@gmail.com

+1 (850) 866 5783

0 Kudos
Andstillirise

I was just gonna post . Day 10 and I’m struggling . I’ve been kicking butt exercising and walking , keeping purposely distracted . 

But today , I’m pissy , moody , mad , TIRED , and barely could I do 3 miles .....

Ugh . I feel spacey and am glad I live with just my dog ! I’m feeling like a psycho bitch . 

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 2:58:11 PM CDT, jackrink <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: Weight gain phobia

reply from jackrink in Conversations - View the full discussion

Ho are you doing today? You are welcome for the support, we all need it!

Jack Rink

jackrink77@gmail.com

+1 (850) 866 5783

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: Weight gain phobia in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos
jackrink

Here is one thing I learned at Mayo. We are drug addicts looking for a fix. However, If you get a nicotine urge and don’t respond to it in 20 minutes it will go away. Therefore, it does not matter if you smoke a cigarette (its effects will go away in 20 minutes too) or you DON’T smoke one, the result will be the same. It is MUCH better to just not smoke one, as the outcome is EXACTLY THE SAME emotionally.

Jack

Jack Rink

jackrink77@gmail.com

+1 (850) 866 5783

elvan

Keep in mind that you had bad days when you smoked too...if this day is challenging, tomorrow should be better and jackrink‌ is absolutely right.  I remember someone telling me that and I thought, "yeah, right."  Truth is, the craves DO go away whether you smoke or not...smoking just keeps them alive longer.

Ellen