cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Waves of fear

The past few days I have had unexplained waves of fear.  They don't last very long.  I'm just surprised that they come out of no where.  They're not cravings or urges.  I'm not even sure I'm thinking about smoking when they occur.  Just wondering if others have this experience.

60 Replies
MarilynH

I've also felt jumpy and out of sorts with my guts churning and kinda panicky off and on in the first month or so and didn't believe it was craves or urges but it probably was without me even realizing it, because everything we did was wrapped around the smokes so  looking back I think that might have been what was going on with me. 

MichelleDiane

Such wonderful feedback from all of you.  Thank you for providing me with resources and support.  I imagine it could be anxiety.  I've struggled with it most of my life, but this just feels  different.  I have had my physical for the year, so I know I am physically well.  That's a relief.  I am putting one foot in front of the other and working through it.  Thanks again. xxxooo

Anxiety triggers flight/fight for no logical reason whatsoever. It can be stopped in it's tracks by Yogic or Belly Breathing.

The more you recognize the door of fear begin to open the sooner you can intervene with therapeutic breathing. Sometimes a rubber band around your wrist helps - snap it when you feel fear and then you know what the next step is - Breathe! I've used mints, gum, and SweetTarts to wake my body up to here and now. Then I ask myself (while breathing) Am I safe right here, right now? Then it's OK  -  I trust in the Lord to take care of me minute to minute. It doesn't always work immediately but it works better and shorter and less intense each time with practice.

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2015/10/23/taking-anxiety-down-from-12-to-3-and-heading-for-0?sr=search&...

MichelleDiane

Thanks Thomas.  Appreciate the feedback

elvan

MichelleDiane‌  Deep breath in...exhale slowly, visualize yourself on a beach just relaxing, DO listen to Thomas3.20.2010‌ and YoungAtHeart‌ and all of the people here who have been there.  You are doing this...your addiction is going to try to pull out all of the stops to get you back.

Hugs,

Ellen

AnnetteMM

As you can see, the experience is practically universal.  In my life it manifests as high level restlessness.  Just can't calm myself for hours and hours.  All I can do when that happens is keep telling myself it will pass, it will pass, it will pass.

Image result for ride the wave gif

Ride the wave!

MichelleDiane

As I am reading the wonderful comments from my ex family I am continuing my journey.  Just got back from a morning walk/run.  I still had this unsettling feeling (a continuation).  I read the suggested articles related to fear and do recognize it on many levels.  Today, however, I think the fear made itself known to me whereas yesterday I couldn't put my finger on it.  My mind today is being overtaken by thoughts of smoking.  I am not acting on those thoughts, but notice they are trying to optimize my brain.  So, what to do?  Well #1 Don't smoke no matter what #2 Get up and get moving  #3  Stay close to this site  #4 What ever you have to do except smoke.  And, yes, this too shall pass.  Thanks again everyone.

Cyber love to all,

Michelle

MarilynH

You've got this quit firmly in your grasp, you are doing great deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can, hang on tight and don't let go because you are going to get through this. MichelleDiane

MichelleDiane

Thanks Marilyn.  I am going to work now and decided to put some makeup on to help me...well it just makes me feel good.  I will be thinking about the wonderful success stories to continue to motivate me to do the very best.  And my best is Not One Puff Ever.  Hope your fur baby is okay.

Hugs,

Michelle