cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Waves of fear

The past few days I have had unexplained waves of fear.  They don't last very long.  I'm just surprised that they come out of no where.  They're not cravings or urges.  I'm not even sure I'm thinking about smoking when they occur.  Just wondering if others have this experience.

60 Replies
Kimshine

Sounds like anxiety. Do some breathing or meditation or both. Try not to feed it.

maryfreecig

Maybe I've had something similar. I had intense unpleasant feelings that I could not associate with the desire to smoke or thought of smoking (though they did not exist prior to quitting or they were not long lived because smoking snuffed them out).  Over time, I realized that whoosh of anxiety corelated to moments when I finally would have a cigarette before quitting--frustrated, break have a cig, angry--suck on a cig, fearful--have a cig. At first I had no clue as to how to shut the have-a-smoke switch off other than to "bravely" carry on. Thankfully I stayed off the butts no matter what--clarity has won out over dispair. Keep the faith.

karenjones

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/maryfreecig-blog?sr=search&searchId=1c8d39cb-47da-46fe-a0ac...‌ what a good writer you are! you have described the tight rope the cigarette smoker walks on between smoking and the symptoms of withdrawal and trying to keep them at bay.  Quite the addiction.  Sounds like you shut the 'have-a -smoke switch' off.  wow. that was life changing. Everything about quitting smoking is good. I think that cigarettes actually make people feel frustrated, angry, fearful but that smokers think that cigarettes relieve these feelings, there the cycle of addiction. Cigarettes relieve the feelings of withdrawal. Temporarily.  You Do have to just carry on don't you. Well done!!!!

maryfreecig

Agreed!!!

JACKIE1-25-15

A wise elder told me that Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real  Thomas3.20.2010

Here is an article I recently read. Overcoming F.E.A.R.: False Evidence Appearing Real | Awaken 

just bookmarked this article Jackie....can't wait to read it!   

I think, I experience this too....I didn't realize until it stopped happening, that I'd always faced those situations with a cigarette. I was having anxiety and I was fearful of the unknown.........Hasn't happened for a good stretch of time now......

Everyday seems to be something.... Just keep putting 1 foot in front of the other..........It helps me to remember ...we are all fighting the same battle........

MichelleDiane

Thanks Jackie.  Read it.

"For God gave us a Spirit not of Fear but of POWER and LOVE and Self-Control!"

- 2 Timothy 1:7

Absolutely Thomas!!!!!!!! If we trust the Lord,we will get through this...Sometimes a prayer, gets me through something weird in this journey.