cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pongaselo

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

I have a question. I want to know why I should want a cigarette. So my daughter and her boyfriend came over last night for a movie, a glass of wine and dinner. I went to the store and when I got back she had smoked in the house.  It smelled like a bar at opening time back in the 70's when you could smoke in the bar.  Stale and vile. After that, they smoked on the front porch which was nice fresh tobacco smoke. Soo delicious and inviting, so wonderful. How come in about 5 minutes it smells so vile. So I wanted to go ahead and enjoy a smoke with the kids which is fine, I have busted my butt for the last 3 weeks preparing and then roughly a week of not smoking, no big deal. All it is is little arguments with myself or maybe the monster in my head. Sarcasm aside, this has been a pain in my butt so since I did the work, I want to know, if I give in to the asshole in my head who wants a cigarette, WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?  They don't taste good, they wreck food, the house smells like shit again and there are rumors that they might be bad for your health.  If I am going to cave, there has to be something good that I want as a reward. What is it?  Thats my question.

14 Replies

I would add that you can set limits within your household to prevent exposure to second hand smoke.

NO SMOKING IN MY HOME!

"Exposure to secondhand smoke, such as a person can get by riding in an enclosed car while someone else smokes, has a direct, measurable impact on the brain — and the effect is similar to what happens in the brain of the person doing the smoking. In fact, exposure to this secondhand smoke evokes cravings among smokers, according to a study funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the National Institutes of Health."  May 2, 2011

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/moderate-levels-secondhand-smoke-deliver-nicotine-brai...

That being said, folks have been able to Quit Smoking while living with a smoker. I can't imagine why anybody would make things even more challenging than they already are!

Sootie

Nothing.....but you know that.

We ALL know/knew that.....but the addiction clouds our thinking.

I find that this mental "picture" works............................

Smoking............

You take a piece of paper and roll dead leaves inside of it.

Then you stick one end of the rolled paper in your mouth.

WHILE IT IS STILL IN YOUR MOUTH....YOU LIGHT THE PAPER ON FIRE.

You then........WHILE the paper and leaves are burning.........INHALE the smoke into your lungs.

And you don't do this once.......you do it over and over all day, every day

And you pay $8.00- $10.00 per day for the "privilege"

Now I ask you......does this sound like a sane activity????

Stay Strong.

jbliesmer

It was super not cool for her to smoke in your house. You know that cigarette offers you nothing. It will give you nothing but misery. 

0 Kudos
pgroce

I forever miss those times of smoking while relaxing with a cup of coffee, after a good meal or contemplating the complexities of life. I miss the cigarettes when I'm on the phone, talking to someone or just chilling on the porch. There is a lot in it for you. There is relaxation, euphoria, and quality time. It is a lot to give up. It's like loosing a dear close irreplaceable friend. I do miss my friend. 

0 Kudos
elvan

pgroce‌ I didn't realize until I looked at the date that this blog was a year old.  I can tell you that I lost many quits over what you are talking about...romancing the smoke.  I DON'T miss them...I have found that if I can deep breathe that I can think through anything, I was astounded the first time I realized that I could talk on the phone or drive a car or handle a situation without KNOWING that I was hurting myself.  A 

"dear close irreplaceable friend. "

does NOT spend his or her time giving you a false "high" and keeping you addicted and stopping you from growing emotionally...all the while stealing your breath, perhaps taking time away from the length of your life, certainly taking time away from being with others when you HAVE to go smoke.  I regret every moment I spent with your dear friend who was and is my worst enemy.

I really hope that you can recognize how far you have come by being in recovery...it is a journey and it is YOUR journey and not nicotine's.

Best,

Ellen

0 Kudos