cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ed_

Veterans

Hi all....I'm a 9 year USN (submarine service) vet....and a lifelong smoker. My quit date is Jan 1, 09. I got the prescription for Chantix today. I also was able, through just THINKING about it, to cut back from a pack + per day, to 1/2 pack. Looking forward to not hacking and not being a social outcast. Look me up vets....we have a lot to be proud of , including kicking the habit!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
will-williams

Just joined ...gimme a holla
0 Kudos
tallcameron

I quit on 11/8/09 so tomorrow is going to be my 1 week date.  It hasn't been easy, but I really want to do this for myself, my wife, and the people who will be in my future.

4 years active duty Marine Corps.  now i'm a civilian student.  I knew alot of people in the Corps that were against smoking, but so many did it, that quite a few of the "haters" started smoking.  I knew if i had tried to quit while i was in it was going to be tough. 

Here I am now, and I hope I can stick with it.

0 Kudos
dedmonds

I can relate to both of you guys.  I am a retired Marine with over 20 years of active service.  I quit smoking about 2 years ago with the help of chantix for about 6 months.  I moved into a new job and the triggers kicked in......"new boss".  So here I am back again to finally kick this habit in the butt.  I have already reduced my smoking and plan to stop within weeks.  Good Luck!

0 Kudos
dorothy-moore

Hi guy's,  I am an Air Force Vet.  trying to quit fot the fourth time.  The longest time I've been able to go without cigarettes is three months.  Hope I succeed this time!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
bill-wason

Hi all...Army vet and still serving in the Army National Guard.  I smoked for 35 yrs and quit on 12 Apr 02.  I used the Cooper-Clayton method, which uses the patch and a support group.  It's great to be a non smoker!  Believe me...the longer you go, the easier it gets.  I always tell someone that if you can go out drinking and not smoke, you have it licked.  I've done it numerous times.  I have no desire to smoke anymore.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
sicktodeath

Hi everyone!

I am a Army Vet and I just join tonight.  I really do want to quit.  I was diagnois with Sarcoidosis of the lungs when I was in the military and I know I should not be smoking.  I have been on every medication mentioned by the doctor except the inhaler and they did not work...or maybe I should say I did not want them to work because I believe I was not ready to quit BUT now I am.  I AM JUST SICK OF BEING SICK ALL THE TIME...THE SMELL and EVERYTHING ELSE THAT GOES ALONG WITH SMOKING.

I will purchase some nicorette gum tomorrow and start from there.

0 Kudos
sdevildog27

Hello all, Marine Corps veteran here. I have quit once before for about 4 months. Set my quit date for February !, 2010 but smoking more now that i know when i'm quitting. Started smoking in the Corps. Was in an infantry unit and when i was new to the fleet, was told by my squad leader that even though i didn't smoke, i had to buy them anyway and take them to the field so the smokers wouldn't run out. After a couple weeks of doing that, I decided if i was buying them, i might as well smoke them!! Been hooked ever since. it's been 12 years. Ready to quit and get back in shape. Also considering going into the Marine Reserves.

0 Kudos
tom8

from one vet to another think of it this way would you pay your enemy to kill you well if you smoke you are supporting just that

you are tough enough to be here reading this then you can defeat them

0 Kudos
jmalitz

thanx and it means alot to have yu here

0 Kudos