cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

zen-blondism

Vanity....anyone??

As I wander around this site and others I have not seen one mention of quitting because of how it affects our appearance. Ya know...yellow teeth, smokers lines around the mouth, wrinkles.
I am going to go get my teeth cleaned and start a whitening program with the idea that I won't want undo my pearly white shine.
I ultimatley want to live longer and feel better but, is anyone out there interested in looking better too? Am I the most shallow want-to-be-exer ever??
0 Kudos
30 Replies
sherri10

http://community.becomeanex.org/group/prettypeoplewhobecomelessattr...

Click the link above! We're certainly not the only ones!!!!

Welcome
0 Kudos
angel6

Heck no Zen!

I wish I could erase the wrinkles around my lips from smoking! If I could afford a face lift I would in a heart beat. Yellow teeth and fingernails can be fixed, but not those stupid wrinkles!
0 Kudos
donna22

I'm with you on that Angel, it's very obvious to anyone that the "above the lip wrinkles" are from smoking....Hate That
Donna
0 Kudos
zen-blondism

Ladies,
How's this for irony. I went for my cleaning yesterday and as I lay there apologizing profusely to the hygenist about the obviuos tobacco stains on my teeth.( Worse on the inside. Thank God for small mercies.) I told her that I was on Chantix. I didn't expect her to know what it was but she did. She followed by saying that she wasn't ready to give up her cigarettes yet. I was floored. This was a beautiful woman whom I assumed was about my age. (38) The moment I learned that she was a smoker she started to look different to me. I had the distinct advantage of sizing up her damage from about 18 inches away since she was working in my mouth. =P
18 inches..hmmn...that's about how far away from the mirror I am when I start to disect myself. So I thought...maybe when I am on the other side of this thing I will have the same broad sense of well being and beauty that was afforded to my hygenist before she became a filthy dirty smoker in my eyes ( that's how I see myself. I am not trying to be cruel towards her)
If that is true and cosequently others see us as we see ourselves...we may save big $$$$$$$$ on lotions and potions merely because we have a better regard for ourselves.
Just a thought.
0 Kudos
paula6

I too am concerned with starting smoking a year and a half ago because of not wanting to get lines and wrinkle and stained teeth!
I'm 56 and am disgusted that I started under very stressful situations. I scutinize myself daily now, in the mirror, for the effects of smoking and along with health reasons, of course, I want to quit!
How is the Chantrix working for you?
Everyone use to say that I looked younger than my age, but since I've started smoking....I feel so bad and it lessens my confidence. I don't know how to break the habit of stopping when I knee-jerk have stress!
0 Kudos
julied

Ohhh I can tell you that I've been watching how the skin on my face is looking better since I quit. I can see the difference, some of the lines are gone already. Well, it could be my imagination or the cream I'm using. LOL

I'm scheduled for a teeth cleaning.

And yes its great not having yellow fingernails 🙂
0 Kudos
paula6

Julie...it's hard for me to navigate which messages are as replies to me on this site, but I'm trying to learn. I've been told not to give personal phone or email info. but I'm just use to talking or chatting one on one with friends so this is new stuff to me.
How long did you smoke? How long have you quit? What tools can you recommend to quit. (I'm under a LOT of stress)....and lol...what kind of cream are you using? Paula
0 Kudos
angel6

JulieD,

So have the lines around your mouth decreased? Please let us know about the cream : ) I used to look much younger than my years. Now I'm beginning to look older than my years. I don't like it one little bit!
0 Kudos
lea

Don't consider yourself to be shallow. Everyone cares about what they look like to others. I personally started using night cream at the age of 20 in hopes that it would reduce the effects smoking had on my skin.
0 Kudos