cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pbjtime

Using Twitter.com to stop smoking - Being accountable to the community

Ok, so I realized I was way too impatient to come to the website, log in, go to the appropriate page, and fill out a questionnaire every time I had a cigarette or wanted to. I was raised off the teat of the internet, and I expect everything to be instant. (inb4: whippersnapper)

Anyway, I got this neat little app called Twhirl, and signed up on Twitter. I send a "tweet" (which, if you don't know, is like a very short blog post, consisting of only a couple of lines of text) each time I either have a cigarette, want to have a cigarette, or proudly choose NOT to have a cigarette just yet.

I've found that, more than anything else I've found so far, making that short "tweet" gives me the motivation to decide that "no, I'm not going to have a cigarette right now". I have a few people following my tweets, and I've submited the twitter to digg.com to get a few more followers, and I've found that the more people follow my progress, the more I feel motivated not to let them down, and not to smoke!

I wanted to post this idea for helping others quit, because I was hoping other people might join me and make their own twitter accounts to help them quit smoking, and help them be accountable to the community. It's really helped me a TON, and I'm down to just a few cigarettes a day already in just a few days of twittering! That's down from almost a PACK a DAY!! From 20 cigarettes, to 4-6 cigarettes in 3 days. How about that!!

Anyway, to continue my reason for posting this, I was hoping people would post the links to their twitter accounts, if they choose to make them, so that I can follow them and they can follow eachother, and maybe me as well, and we can share followers, and be accountable to eachother. We can help eachother quit and provide support and pats-on-the-back when we choose not to smoke, and encouragement when we slip up and have a cigarette.

What do you guys think? I'm excited about this!! I've come farther than ever before, really quickly!

My "quitting" twitter: www.twitter.com/quitting
Digg article about using Twitter to quit smoking: http://digg.com/odd_stuff/Person_uses_Twitter_to_try_to_quit_smokin...
0 Kudos
0 Replies