cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cruetf65

Unsure I can quit for good.

I am a senior citizen and recently got diagnosed with CAROTID ARTERY DISEASE. I have read and reread that if one continues to smoke with this condition. A HEART attack or a STROKE soon follows. I have begun quitting. The questions I have are can I quit permanently even though I suffer from anxiety and depression? Also live with one of my sister's who stresses me out big time a lot. Are these just excuses to continue smoking?  Please someone give a hands up?

14 Replies
minihorses

Welcome cruetf65!  I will echo the elders and personal advice in their recommendations to read, post, believe, and achieve!  It absolutely will help BUT you have to help yourself first.  This is not an easy road but it is so worth it!

I have bipolar disorder II (mixed, more towards depressive).  I started Chantix and smoked for about 3 weeks then cut down and quit at week 4.   I have gone through several bipolar episodes since quitting and really thought about starting again a couple times but I knew from these people that it smoking wouldn't solve any of my problems or depression.  I still have to have a talk with myself everytime I go down that same road. It DOES get easier with practice and time I promise!  Check out some of the mental illness groups here.  You'll find some good information there as well.  You can do this! We WILL help!

Julie

89 days quit

what helped me a great deal is the section under the "My Quit Plan" (found at the upper right-hand corner), go to the Beat Tobacco Cravings.  Identify your triggers and then the most important part is the trigger tracker tool.  Here is where you devise your own plan of separating yourself from automatically picking up a cigarette.  Here you replace that action with a different one.  In my case, my youngest daughter stresses me out.  Drama queen.  She didn't live here the first year I was quit, she moved back home in the second year.  I knew that I'd have to think of ways to cope with certain triggers (things she does) that drives me insane.  I prepared for when and if she ever came back.   This section is individualized because everyone's life is different and everyone's triggers are different.  So you're going to have to put your thinking cap on.  talk to your doctor if life in general gets to be too much and let them know you've quit smoking.  Some people find that some medication can assist you along the way.  

I always said I'd die with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth.  I couldn't imagine myself as a nonsmoker.  well, it's now been over 2 years.  You just have to educate yourself, learn about what nicotine is and what it does to your brain and why it keeps you coming back along with your own personal reasons why you started smoking in the first place and continued to do so over the years.  Quitting is difficult because there's so much emotional ties to it and that's what keeps you coming back.  Some drink to forget, some use drugs to hide some trauma.  it's all a personal thing.  As you move along the process of quitting, you're going to learn a lot about yourself and why you see smoking as a comfort, a friend, a stress reliever.  You've come to the right place.  We're just a bunch of former smokers helping other smokers quit.  Welcome !!!! 

Gma_Bernie

I am 63 years old and I just quit about 8 weeks ago. I have had major depression and anxiety since an early age. It is possible. But you have to quit buying them. It's that simple - and that complicated. I had to go for two weeks without buying any except for using up some rollies that I bought and hated. And when I ran out of those I started digging butts out of the garbage. Finally when I ran out of those I just stopped. I thought I was going to go nuts and after about 5 days someone suggested using the patch. I had some leftover from a previous quit and I put one on and felt immediate relief. I know this sounds stupid but it's almost like I had to go through all that agony for 5 days to realize that the patch could help me. Previous attempts with the patch had not worked. I just kept smoking. Don't be fooled that you need these. You don't. You need food. You need air. You need water. You definitely do not need cigarettes. Hope this helps.

freeneasy

You can quit. You can quit for good and in time you won't miss smoking. You can not only survive you can thrive! Read all the comments above over and over and do all the reading suggested. Learn about quitting and believe you can. We did and you can too.