cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ChezziePT

Understanding Chantix Withdrawal

I used Chantix the first time I quit and, after I stopped taking Chantix, my mind went to very dark and dangerous places for the first time in my life.  I was literally afraid.  (I didn't taper down, as recommended, but stopped cold turkey due to a surgery where I couldn't eat/drink for a while.)  For almost 10 years I swore I would never smoke again, but I picked up a single stale and gross cigarette in a time of insurmountable stress (caring for a dying parent) and it snowballed from there.  Now, I'm quitting again because I have surgery scheduled in September.  The doctor did give me Chantix to help me quit.  It's giving me acid belly but no strange dreams or other side effects.  I've been quit for three days, but I'm very concerned about quitting the Chantix too...mostly because my doctor prescribed it incorrectly 3 times already and I'm not overly confident that I'm going to have a greater than 30 day supply of it.  I would like to start tapering down after I've been smoke-free for two solid weeks, but I'm hearing that it's not as effective unless you're on it for 8-12 weeks.  Thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Barbscloud

@ChezziePT Welcome to the Ex and congrats on three days smoke free.  Have you read the instructions? There are 3 methods to us Chantix.  With the first two methods you take it for 12 weeks and the 3rd method for 24 weeks. I don't think you'd get the full benefit of using in for two weeks. Some people need a few weeks for it to begin working.  Have you considered using NRT with the Chantix.  

I would recommend talking to a pharmacist if you're not confident in your doctor. 

In addition to any aid, have you been doing the work for a successful quit?

I thought I had everything in place for my final quit, until  I learned I needed to understand nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan that would prepare me for what I was going to encounter on my journey.  And for the first time, I had the support of fellow quitters.

Take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting a well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help.    Going for walk is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.   Spend time on the site when you need it the most .

Consider taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time, even the weekend.

Stay busy and stay close.

Let me know what you decide.

Barb

0 Kudos