cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

Turn Struggles to Challenges

Words have power.  What you are telling yourself is very important in life as in quitting smoking.  Anyone who knows me understands that I hardly ever use the word struggle.  I prefer to replace it with the word challenge.  Which sets your mind up to be willing to meet the challenge.  I am not saying that we do not have struggles in life but your perception can put a lot of weight on the trials, temptations, and weaknesses that we EXperience. 

Let just look at those two words for right now.

Struggle- make forceful or violent efforts to get free of restraint or constriction.

Challenge -a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill, strength, etc. something that by its nature or character serves as a call to battle, contest, special effort, etc.:

Which one will make it easier?  Not easy but Easier!

What you say to yourself matters.  Whatever you tell your brain has a major impact on your life and your quit smoking journey.  If you are constantly feeding your brain negative thoughts.  What will you get? ….Negative results

As a wise elder once said, "It is what's between the ears".  The writer James Allen states, "As a man thinketh so is he"

The goal is to Debrief, Debunk  Deprogram the thinking that you need or have to have a cigarette. We have told ourselves that so many times  It is time to deprogram those thoughts. In order to do that, imagine washing your brain of that brainwashing thought. One way to do that is through self-talk.

Let’s just look at a few.

“I can’t do this”. ( you have already given up).  Say: Yes, I can do this!

“This is hard”.  (That is a reality when it comes to quitting smoking.)   Yes, it is hard but I can do it!

“I am struggling”. (Sounds like you will never make it). This is a "challenge" that I can meet.

“I will never make it”.  Keep telling yourself... I am going to make it. No matter what!

“I never could do anything right”.   Say I can do this!  I won't give up.  

“I am so stupid”.  (You are doomed if you keep saying this one.)   What a man thinks so is he.

The more I live, the more I learn.  I am becoming more firm in my belief that there is a reason for everything.  I started writing this several days ago and today 8/26 this blog popped up with a like on my response.  It was confirmation for me to continue this blog and that I was on the right track in helping those who "struggle".

Here is a blog from Barbscloud‌ early in her journey. If you re struggling make it a challenge to make it easier.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17783-to-all-of-us-struggling-with-life?commentID=120958&s...  

Change what you are telling yourself and change your life.

Tags (1)
19 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love the positivity JACKIE1-25-15

EX Community Admin Team
JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you, Mark. 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

You my dear Jackie JACKIE1-25-15 have so much wonderful wisdom.  Thank you for sharing...and I so agree with you and Barb’s blog Barbscloud ... Hope you have a good Wednesday ~ Colleen 632 DOF 

Maki

Bookmarked . Awesome blog . 

Christine13

What a great blog!

Christine13

This helped me quite a lot today.  I usually like a challenge, and that's how I will look at this from now on.

Christine13

How do I bookmark this??

JACKIE1-25-15

Top right corner. click Actions, select bookmark, should be a  listed item to select. 

0 Kudos

EXcellent!