cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

janet

Trying Again

In my 31 years, I have not tried 100 times. I have tried over 10 times, desperately trying to end my addiction to cigarettes. My willpower strong until my back pain, my Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) started acting up. Knowing my health issue fears....it was all about pain, severe pain always took me back to smoking....The pain with smoking was always duller and when I had to deal with the sharp pain..I am a former chronic pain sufferer...I would choose a cigarette over the prescribed medication. Knowing my downfall I have herbal supplements in place to help me with my back pain, supplements to help with my IBS and if all else fail, I do have prescribed medications. On April 1. 2009 when I quit, I ave everything I need to stay quit.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
42 Replies
nan7

Hi, This is my third day in a row of trying.  Day 1 , I went 9 hours, Day 2 I went 6 hours and today is a new day.  What's funny is that I actually feel Much Better with the patch than when I smoke.  I can tell the difference. Within hours I have way more energy.  Then when I slow down, I get a craving. They aren't even that bad.  Its more like a restlessness.  I just give in.  I think today, I will tell myself, Just For Today I will not smoke.  10am today to 10 am tomorrow.  I KNOW it is not that bad once I get past these first 4 days.  Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
lkwitte

Hello everyone~! My name is Lucy... I am trying to stop smoking... and get my life right~! I have always worked in stressful environments and everyone who got a small break smoked... so, I picked it up... and I quit once in college, but then right before finals... I had to get my craving satisfaction~! So, here I am 5 years later... still smoking~! I made a promise to my mom and sister that I would stop smoking, and that is what I am going to do, with some of your help~!

0 Kudos
want2bfree

Hi there everyone or anyone. I was reading the different messages here and could relate and empathize with almost all of you. I have smoked for so long it feels like all my life. I am working on my 8th day free and being a non-smoker and it feels great most of the time,(yes, there are times when I think about it) but try to immediatly get my mind on anything else. I have started working out on my eliptical, I just bought a mountain bike and am riding it to work starting tommorrow, I eat better, sleep better, work better, and I really truly feel so much better. The scary part is that I have tired so many amny times in the past and I use to say I failed, but I really believe that even when we fail, we learn. I was a non-smoker for a little over 4 years and started again, almost 2 years ago now. In any addiction, the mind is an awesome manipulator and liar: You can have just one, you deserve one after today, life just isn't any fun without cigs, and my oldie but goodie, I probably already have cancer so what the hell, just smoke. All of these are lies my addiction tries to get me to believe and that's the part I am scared of and have to keep remembering that. Thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
nan7

I am now well in to my second day and am pretty pleased with that.  Am making a nice dinner.  I put more effort into meals when I don't smoke.  Because of not smoking I  have a lot more time on my hands and am trying to eat healthier.  I can hardly wait to get to day 4 because after that it seems to get easier.  I like to come to this site and read because it like having friends that are going through the same thing that I am going through.  This is one place where no one puts you down because you are/were a smoker.  My most difficult time now is at night.  For tonight I have saved a sewing project that will keep the hands and brain busy.  Stay strong everybody 🙂

0 Kudos
kaitttaa

I decided to quit smoke about 3 weeks ago, but I wanted to waint until I was back from my vacation. So as soon as I got home, i quit. I am going on day 4! Staying strong! good luck to all

0 Kudos
mariposa

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow is my day to quit. I have treid before, but as soon as I give in to one craving I end up smoking more than "just one" for that day. I am hoping that I can do better. I think posting to a group site will help me.

0 Kudos
nan7

Hi everyone. Just checking in to say that I am on my 10th day now.  Don't know why it is so hard  to get a quit started. Almost seems like the stars have to line up. So, I am going to just keep doing what I am doing and be thankful for each day.  I am so glad to be Quit again. 

0 Kudos
deb2

Hi everyone. tom. is my quit date so wish me luck. i have to quit. i got copd now an that is a big slap in the face.well i will be needing all the support i can get. thanks deb.

0 Kudos
amandalee2

Yesterday I quit smoking!!!! This time I am more prepared than ever before. I have been on weight watchers for about a month and a half now, so hopefully that will help with not gaining weight. I have also got some things to keep me busy. For one I am going to learn how to knit! I am also digging out my sewing machine and am going to make my 1 1/2 yr old daughter some clothes for her dolls. Also I am going to be crocheing a few blankets and working on a few scrapbooks. Not that I am not busy anyway! I have 3 young children to help keep me busy! But this time I feel like I have control over this instead of my cravings having control over me. I can do this!

0 Kudos
momofmanyhats

Hi, my name is Lisa. Today is my first day with no cigarettes. I smoked 1 yesterday, 1 the day before and 0 today. I am not feeling vary good and infact I have had a hard time keeping my cool with my 2 1/2 year old. I feel like this will never get easier. I so just want to give up, but I know I will never get there if I do that. 😞

0 Kudos