cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mroseforte

Trigggerrrr

I have to clean my house today without smoking it’s huge trigger for me !!

I really messed up by not illuminating this trigger before I quit   Greens are hired stay 11 I have to do this I really need some support I would like vacuum to go outside have a couple of puffs  and come back in mop go outside have one or two puffs  It was a sick ritual anyway I need to be broken LOL  I can’t myself amused I thought I was happy but I was miserable and now the cravings are high and I have to clean my house !!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
GyorgyiM

Sorry I missed this post when it originally came out..

I hope you made it through your cleaning day. I myself spend nearly everyday cleaning my house to keep myself distracted and preoccupied till I knew I had the trigger conquered.

I made a game of it, both mentally and physically. I was sooooo pumped up to get rid of all the old stale smells and stains.....even though YOU couldn't see or smell them in my home....I knew it lurked there.

I ended up cleaning things in my home that you just don't normally do on a consistent basis and it felt GREAT!

For example.....I took the leaf blower and stuck in up the dryer vent shoot to flush out the lint !! That was great fun to watch from the backyard ( I need a life! ).

So I would suggest to alter your mindset, find a new approach to cleaning and enjoy the results.....

YOU GOT THIS !!!!

Miles of Smiles.............

elvan

I never identified that trigger in advance either...it's the "reward" cigarette and it's a powerful trigger but it is NOT something that you cannot get past.  I love Barbscloud‌'s suggestion to come to EX and do some reading...connect with others facing the same things. I drank lots of cold water, sucked on Sour Patch Kids, also had frozen fruit available...cherries and blueberries that I ate with a spoon to keep from staining my fingers.  I went outside and blew bubbles...a respiratory therapist suggested it because it reminds us how to breathe more efficiently.  I watch the bubbles float away and I am completely enthralled.  I take deep breaths IN and hold and then exhale very slowly, much like when I was smoking.  I did not smoke in my house but I DID love the clean smell after I quit smoking...the not so clean smell was ME.  

You are doing great...take it one thing at a time...you don't have to clean the entire house in one day, do you?  I CAN'T so that's no longer a choice for me.  I tire too easily and I am too short of breath.  DANCE as you clean, turn up the music, SING...be happy with each step you take.

Ellen

IrishRose

Cleaning the house is just like going off to a job.  With that said, when I was at work and the urge hit, I would put on my sneakers, go outside, and walk around the entire building where I worked.  When I returned, I did not have cancer sticks on my mind. 

Irish Rose 

KMC56

I cranked up the music, would use my Google music and have Alexia change it up.  I also would clean and purge like I was going to sell the house ( seeing it through a realators eyes) ...etc.  I would take my time out and blog on this site..oh the possibilities my ex friend!  Let us know how successful you were at the end of the  day!!!

~Kathy 

Barbscloud

elvan      Ellen, I did my first bubbles this weekend for my picnic on the deck!   They really helped and it was fun.  I'm am finally conquering being able to spend time on deck without smoking.  

elvan

Barbscloud‌ I am SO HAPPY for you...it really is a very simple way to be outdoors and remember breath control.  Good for you, thanks for sharing.

Ellen