cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

LisaEndsley

Too much stress

Hello, first time sharer here.

I set my date as April 30th...and just couldn't do it. 

Everyone in my household is a smoker...zero support.

I find that I am smoking less thru the day, but then seem to double up when everyone else is home.

I live in a very small house with my hubby, my son, my daughter and her 3, sometimes 4 kids (ages 2, 4, 7,and 9), 7 dogs (not all mine), 9 cats (again not all mine) and 19 chickens out back that my hubby put in a place that is inaccessible to me (so I can't even go there to relax).

I am 54 years old and went into the hospital 2 months because of my COPD, and my O2 was down to 70%.  

Smoking and Stress are in a race to kill me, and I am not sure which one is gonna win.

13 Replies
Alicatsam

I live with smokers but they are just roommates and I have my own room to hide in. I have one dog and one of the roomies has 2 with behavioral issues, barking and tearing stuff up. 

My dog is my only family and he doesn't smoke.

So I am nowhere near your level of pressure at home and really can't think of anything helpful to say. Just hang in there and good luck!

I am on day 3 and lucky to have quit before health issues forced it. I just did it for my dog. Hoping to move out of this cigarette-poisoned apartment in the near future.

Barbscloud

Wow, I bet you are stressed.  You have more activity in your house, than most.  It's not going to be easy, but you can do it.  Can you ask the others to smoke outside?   It would be great if you had their support, but you have to do it for yourself.  It's your life and your health.  Read everything you can on this site to educate yourself about this addiction.  Pick another quit date (soon) and be prepared for that date.  There is great support here, so just reach out if your need help.   Let us know what your new date is!

Barb

elvan

You HAVE to do this.  You HAVE to quit so you can at least slow the progress of the disease.  I have COPD too and I quit over five years ago, it was seriously a matter of life and death.  Since I quit, I have had both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed.  That was because of the COPD.  I am always short of breath and always tired...in spite of that, I work out five days a week and I do everything I possibly can to live a healthy life.  You have to tell your family members that the house is a nonsmoking zone and that they HAVE to help you because they are KILLING you.  Ask them to come to this site and do some reading, tell them that smoking inside of the house is NOT NEGOTIABLE and if they don't listen, go to Social Services and get help finding a place of your own...away from them.  Social Services can intervene, you are ill and you need to be protected but you have to reach out.

Welcome to EX and PLEASE put yourself first...it sounds like you have never done that before.

Ellen

Tanuaj13

Sounds close to what my situation was before I quit this month. Hi, I’m Tanua and I’m 53. I decided to smoke a little less each day until my quit date got here. I knew my daughter was going to smoke around me. So I cleaned my room and car before the quit date. I also started taking an anti depressant instead of Chantix because it was too expensive. The first 3 days was the hardest. I kept really busy. I ate a lot today of candy and spent time in my bedroom where no cigarettes were allowed. I did what everyone in the group told me to do. I’m 15 DOF.  I hope this helped. Keep trying!