cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

john-ryan

Tonight is the night.

I still have about a pack and a half left of cigarettes, but I'm thinking tonight would be a good night to quit, I gotta work third shifts all week (including thanksgiving, ugh.) I know I can make it through tonight, but the morning after work is going to be tough, and the next day, and after I wake up... yeah, I know you guys know about that. So if anyone could leave me any encouragment I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm already incredibly grateful so far for the kind words everyone has left me.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
monk

I always thought of quitting. Just like you. Sometimes I would flush the whole packet of cigarette down the toilet so that I don't smoke even if I want to smoke. Then in at night I would go out at night around 12 o'clock to buy cigarettes 😛

Friday , I would think I will quit on Saturday...And on Saturday I would think of Sunday....and then in the end I would think I should not be harsh on myself and would keep on smoking. ha ha . I don't mind smoking and dying early and all that stuff. But I thought there is no reason to torture my body, heart and lungs. If you ever get a chance try to read this article. "Never Take another Puff" in the website .
http://www.whyquit.com/joel/#book. The pdf document will say if you can stay nicotine free for 72 hours you will cleanse your body of any nicotine
I read the articles and was mentally ready for the quitting. I knew I would start sooner or later .

Then one Friday I became member of this site . My profile said " I really have to quit this time". The moment I opened my account I got so much encouraging postings I felt nice. I was not feeling anymore guilty because of the fact that I tried to quit so many times and failed. I developed more respect for myself I still smoked exhausted all the cigarettes that Friday. Late night I was still looking for cigarettes. I had set my quit date on the weekend . But I was not sure how will it go. And I didn't want to go on anything like Chantix, patch etc . This idea was even bolstered by the pdf document. Saturday I went to a Yoga class. It was quite nice experience. I came back and didn't smoke at all. Sunday also I didn't smoke. With that I haven't smoked for last 14/15 days. I have made some wonderful friends here with whom I share my feelings and thoughts about smoking ..quitting etc . People are every supportive here.

Somewhere I read that quitting is very personal experience. You need to look into many ways people have quite and then one day you just let go of the habit. You are clean, smoke free. You will develop new habits. Earlier whenever I used to feel down I will smoke and things will be settled and nothing will happen. Today when I am down after sometime I try to overcome why am I down and would take some nice steps ..like either drink juice and feel healthy or go for a swim or go to gym and feel nice. Every time I would think there are many people why are smoking and killing themselves softly. I feel quite powerful and in control of myself. I feel I can do anything in the long run ...professionally and personally.

I am sure you would soon quit and would be able to encourage many more never to go in the path of smoking 🙂

Thanks
0 Kudos
dedebum

My first quit date was October 1st. I could not do it. I was afraid to be without cigs. So, I set another quit date and another and finally I made my Nov. 15th quit. But, I had to cut myself off slowly. One cig and hour, then two hours, etc. Even though I use the patch and pills, I still had to breakdown the amount of cigs I smoked in a day before I reached my quit date. Its hard but just hang in there. Maybe just slowly withdraw and every time you want to smoke find something else to do. We are here for you.

YES YOU CAN do this...don't beat up on yourself.
0 Kudos
tina26

Good Luck John. you can do it
0 Kudos