cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Imready2019

Tomorrow may be rough!

I’m so nervous about work tomorrow! I always smoke 4 cigarettes at work. My nerves are sooo bad! I almost can’t stand the thought of not smoking at work!!! My job is pretty stressful, I’m a nursing assistant. I have nicotine gum, not sure if it’s going to help or not. I guess we will see. Positive thoughts needed as I continue to read all the helpful posts on this site! Any advice on the gum? I feel like I’m going to lose my mind tomorrow, lol. 

Tags (1)
25 Replies
Imready2019

Thank you! I still went and sat in my car, but instead of smoking I ate something. I think on my lunch break I’ll be calling to see if the doctor can call in an appetite suppressant. I’m actually really happy with myself. I’m glad I didn’t give in! I’m going to drink some water on my break also! The nicotine gum kind of helps, but I think it’s the tingle sensation. I won’t be using it much longer. Thanks everyone for all the help!

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS!  Try to take a brisk walk during breaks and drink lots and lots of water.  I sucked on Sour Patch Kids during the beginning of my quit.  I am a retired nurse, I worked as a nursing assistant when I was still in school.  You are doing a great thing for yourself and all those who love you.  Stay close.

Ellen

Imready2019

Doesn’t it seem odd how many nurses and nursing assistants smoke? You’d think with all the lung issues we see, we would never smoke again! My biggest issue is, I’ve started becoming embarrassed when I come back in from breaks and I just know my residents can smell me! 

0 Kudos
elvan

Yes, it really is amazing how many medical professionals smoke.  I, too, was really embarrassed when I came in and had to get close to someone to care for them.  How disgusting.  The patients with COPD or other smoking related illnesses were so anxious and I felt helpless when I cared for them.  I so wanted to make them feel better.  When I started working as an RN, most of the doctors smoked, there were ashtrays at the nurses' station, docs often lit up while they were talking to their patients.  It's a miracle that I made it THIS long.

You are doing GREAT...staying close and reaching out is so helpful.

Ellen

Barbscloud

I always smoked by my car (since I didn't smoke it it).  When I quit, I kept something to read in the car if was early, etc.  I also liked chewing on straws. Keep up the good work!

Barb

Imready2019

I like the straw idea! I’ll put some in my car today!

0 Kudos
Andstillirise

You’re doing great ! Stay close to the site and distract yourself . You got this ! 

jonimarie

Andstillirise good to see you

0 Kudos
Imready2019

Well, in two hours and two minutes it will be 24 hours that I’ve been smoke free. I’m feeling kind of down, I guess mainly because normally I’d chit chat on the phone and smoke the night away. I may go to bed early. 

jonimarie

First couple weeks of my quit I did that ..went to bed early. It is somewhat exhausting canceling those urges away and figuring what to do with yourself in the beginning.  It does and it will get better