cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

adanna

Today is the first day

Today I woke up and decided this is it, I'm done. I have had 2 cigs today. I figure I will cut them out until this pack is done, and then i'm done.

I lost my job on Monday, and I figure there is no time like the present to change everything. so here I go, wish me luck. I hope to be totally smoke free by next Wednesday, which is the 22nd. But I don't want to buy any more packs. losing my job and having no money should help. the bummer is I can't afford anything like gum or the patch. has any of you quit without the aids? if so how did it go. I have been smoking for almost 17 years, I was 13 when I started. I'm 30. its time. plus my 6 year old daughter keeps asking me too, so I figure if I can't do it for me I can for her.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
mmerose

I'm on day 3. Something that helped me - I cut a straw into a cigarette length and stuffed it with cotton until it "draws" just like my cigarette. It helps with the fidgits! Then someone here mentioned she was using cinnamon sticks. Since I had some in my spice rack, I made another straw ciggie with a piece of cinnamom and cotton.
Good luck! Lots of support here!
0 Kudos
cris2

Congrats on deciding to quit. It is tough, I am on day 3 right now and admittedly struggle but it is worth it. Have you read Alen Carrs book the Easy Way to stop smoking? Good Read

Cris
0 Kudos
ed_11

i am on about hour 9 right now, it is a little easier then i thought, but that itch in the pit of my stomach is growing bigger and bigger the longer i go. the patch is helping a lot, but that itch is not going away. i know it does not help seeing all my "smoking buddies" leave and come back, but i will find something to keep me busy. this site is helping a lot.
0 Kudos
jelena

Hi Adanna, I just wanted to say hi! I am fresh quitter, only 3 days but I am not using anything as aid. So far so good though. If I can do it, anyone can! HAve faith in yourself and decide for REAL that you are quitting. That made it much easier for me. Good luck!
0 Kudos
tina19

Congrats on your decision to quit for good. I quit cold turkey and its goin well. There is no time but the present to quit. Good Luck.
0 Kudos
kathy17

When I quit initially in 2003 I used to look at a picture of my mother-in-law who died of emphysema around. It may help to carry a picture of your daughter around. Also blow pops were very helpful.
0 Kudos
adanna

Well it's not going very well for me. this week was so stressful. and I went out with a friend saturday night. I hope to get back on track this week because I really want to do this. thanks for all the advice, and well wishes so far.
0 Kudos
amalita

Hi Adanna,

It is my 9th day as a non smoker. I quit cold turkey too. I take it one day at a time. It works for me so far. I cannot say that I do not get cravings. When it comes, I focus my mind on on the reasons for which I quit . I have been able to realize that I can deal with a craving better than I would with myself as a nicotine addict. Quite a few people have been talking about "embracing" cravings. I have not been able to do that yet. GOOD LUCK, Adanna!
0 Kudos
dale4

Congrats and best wishes to you... I'm on Day 8 so I know how hard it can be when the urge hits, especially when you are under stress. Stay focused, and tell yourself that it may SEEM that having a smoke will make things better, but it won't... and just think how much better you feel right now compared to when you were smoking! Good luck and keep it going! 🙂
0 Kudos