cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

txmilligan

Today is my quit day....

and it sucks out loud! I was doing fine until I took my lunch break and had to deal with the usual after lunch BS I encounter here. Now, its all I can do not to crave and fixate, crave and fixate. I went so far as to give my wife my CC, ATM card and ckbook so I would fall off the wagon on the 1st day, and now I'm trying to figure out who I can bum $6 off of.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
mozee

I got the impression that the idea is to replace the bad habit with a new good one. Is there anyone at work who walks during lunch? That might be a good replacement. And be sure you don't walk past anyplace that sells cigarettes.
0 Kudos
robyn4

I changed up my lunch plans and now eat in my office and then play computer games. Or come on here! lol
I don't go to where the smokers sit even though they are my friends. They don't have any idea I am quitting today so they won't worry or ask about it.
0 Kudos
mozee

Wow! When I sit down at my computer, I always want to smoke, even when I play computer games. The cigarette may burn to the end without my puffing on it more than once or twice, but I seem to want it in my hand. That being said, you've made a good choice to replace one behavior with another one. I also have not told people I'm quitting. I know you're supposed to, but that makes me so worried about failing that I'm inclined to smoke.
0 Kudos
david-hibling

Hang in there iit worth it take deep breaths and realise that those lungs are being healed - be proud of what you are doing and hold on!!!!
0 Kudos
jacob5

It is really hard but definitely worth it. The first little bit you just have to make up your mind and stick with it, then it becomes more natural. You also have to be ready and have your mind in the right place . Don't give yourself any options of failing, just commit to being a non-smoker and you're in the next section of your life. Lean on all of us, we're here for ya!
0 Kudos
mozee

Thanks, David. I think I'm doing better than expected. In anticipation of my quit date, I've lengthened the time between cigarettes each day. Today, they'll be four hours apart. The deep breaths do help, and I am envisioning myself as tobacco free.
0 Kudos
mozee

Aw, Jacob, that is really sweet! I hadn't thought about it being the next section of my life. That's a great way to look at it. No matter how hard it gets, I'm not giving up, because then all the hard work I've done so far would be for nothing. Thanks for being there.
0 Kudos
jacob5

It really does get better, I promise and I LOVED to smoke. Spend less time thinking about IF you'll make and more about your new life, you're no longer a smoke and failing is not an option! Lower caffeine also by the way, the anxiety from it can feel like you need to smoke.
0 Kudos
mozee

That's good advice, Jacob. I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning, but I know other things have caffeine, too, like cola. I loved to smoke, too. That's why I smoked for so long. But I started to hate the way I smelled even more than I loved to smoke. People react as if you're some kind of stupid person when they smell it. Ever notice that?
0 Kudos