cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

little.mama

Today is my first day to quit. Im chicken!

Help! I'm not strong enough for this!

Tags (1)
38 Replies
maryfreecig

What would make you strong enough for this? Think about it. Quitting is a personal decision--no one can get you there. I'm betting that you are able to decide to quit. Why? Quitting is doable and being accomplished everyday--there is no such thing as not being strong enough to quit. It's an addiction, so quitting can feel a little weird--but not impossible. 

What you tell youself you can't do, you won't do.

little.mama

Grr! Well said. I always told my kids "whether you think you can or can't,  you're right " well, I am having a hard time following my own advice. 

aboyd63

You can do this quit.  Just tell yourself that you quit and do something else such as reading blog's  drinking water, exercise,  find a hobby ,ask questions on here . Just don't smoke  you can do this .

Arlene. 89DOF

Kboyd66

Those are pre-quit jitters it's like your mental state of mind knows what you're gonna do and it's trying to block but you can do this we're here to support you with suggestions, tips, try drinking water, cinnamon Stix etc you can do it day by day DOF 89 

little.mama

How do you get through the first day!!! I'll take tomorrow when it gets here

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You get through the first days the best that you can., sometimes an hour (or a minute) at a time. Take slow/deep breaths, sip from a bottle of water, take a walk, find things on the list of 100 things to do instead of smoke and do one, then another, then another. Do the recommended reading, take a shower, take a nap, call a friend, clean out a drawer, go for another walk, play a game on your phone, visit Etsy and dream what you might buy with the money you are saving. Then do it all again!  You need to be disciplined in the early days to keep your mind off of smoking.  We ALL had to get through the first days - and we somehow made it  You can, too!  My saving grace was Angry Birds.  I played it almost nonstop for the first three days or so.

Just keep plugging away - I promise it WILL get easier - just take it a minute at a time.

Hang in there!

Nancy

MarilynH

How are you doing this morning little.mama? It's definitely going to take time to relearn life without the smokes BUT you can and will be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time believe it deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way....

412f70d6be8181af32fd297e0455304d.jpg

marciem

Hey, little.mama .  You're doing SO well writing about your struggles.  Use this to get thru cravings.

One mantra that really helped me through the first hours & days was "This craving will go away, whether I smoke or not".  Its true, it will go away if you don't smoke.  Find something to distract your mind in the mean time, coloring books, puzzles, doodling, walking around.  Each individual craving WILL go away whether you smoke or not.  But the only way that ALL of them will go away is if you do NOT smoke.

I like your Henry Ford quote "whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right"  You have the power to make this happen  .

Barbscloud

You know who could really you with this is SimplySheri

Barb102

You can and you will quit if you really want to. No smokes in the house the car the garage etc etc. you are stronger enough to quit. I was strong enough only waited way too long. But you can’t look back only forward. Please take all the great advice here. Please don’t smoke. You see I’m not strong enough now because of how sick I got from smoking. Please know you are strong enough to quit. Please don’t wait to get sick. We will help you. I will personally help you if you need me