cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

little.mama

Today is my first day to quit. Im chicken!

Help! I'm not strong enough for this!

Tags (1)
38 Replies
Ronwv

Day 3 for me and yes the first few days has been heck. I woke up this morning and the withdrawals feeling weren't that bad. I have felt worst when changing blood pressure meds. 

Keep reading up and don't be afraid to ask any questions.deep breathing And walking alot helped with the jitters I had.

Stay trying to figure out how not to be too tired. But,I have to admit I did get a nap in earlier today and feel a little stronger.

You got this quit. Keep fighting.show the nic demon,who is the stronger one.

sweetplt

You have received a lot of good information above me...keep us posted...how are you doing ? You can do this...I was you 334 Days ago...Colleen 

little.mama

Ok. So I failed yesterday and this morning.  But I had my boyfriend put the patch on me at noon, and I put my smokes in the back of a drawer.  Wish me luck!

Does your boyfriend smoke?

Putting your cigarettes in the back of a drawer likely won't keep you from discovering them.

There is no luck.

avian3

Once you quit there is no reason to have smokes. Don't be afraid to let go of them. I know it can be scary.

sweetplt

little.mama there is no luck involved sweetie,  do the suggested readings and work...it will help so much...also, get rid of smoking paraphernalia...give yourself no reason to smoke...You can do this...gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 334 DOF 

Giulia

When you put your smokes in the back of a drawer the option to smoke is not only alive and well, but it's easily accessible. Why would you put your smokes in the back drawer unless you expect, suspect, you'll go get them at some point?

When we agree to quit smoking, we agree to get rid of those items that enable our addictive behavior:  cigarettes, vapes, ashtrays, lighters, etc.  

Question for you:  Why did you put those cigarettes in your back drawer?  And after you answer that question for yourself, think about whether it's the wisest choice for overcoming this addition, or whether it's an enabler to relapse.  

Personally I feel that if we leave the option to smoke alive in our heads it not only makes our quit more difficult, but more easy to forfeit.  For me, leaving a pack of cigarettes somewhere would indicate I haven't made a 100% commitment and I need them there "just in case."  That mindset, wouldn't have lead me to the 13 year quit I have now. 

But as we all know, we're all different.  And perhaps that will work for you.  If it doesn't, I hope you'll re-visit this response.  

I believe you ARE strong enough.  It's hard for all of us.  Take it as a challenge.  An exciting challenge, rather than a defeatist attitude to begin with.  Change your thinking from "I'm not strong enough" to I CAN DO THIS THING!  Disrupt the negative thinking and push in the positive one.  It's hard to change our thinking.  I know.  But we CAN.  It just takes perseverance and stubbornness and a willingness to change.  

I don't think we need to want to quit to overcome this addiction, but I do think we need to want SOMETHING more than smoking.  It might be simply never having to go back to another day one. Or it might be the need  to be the best that we can be. 

What do you want more than smoking?  Find that motivator that will ensure your quit.  Sometimes we don't even know in the beginning, but we discover it along the journey.  We need to ask and answer many questions about ourselves as we progress down this path.  The strength we gain from that questioning is remarkable.

Don't give up.

little.mama

Sigh...you are correct. I have only committed 90%. That's not enough! I have an anxiety attack when I think of getting rid of the smokes. WHY????!!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Have you thought about shortening your goal?  Thinking in terms of quitting FOREVER I found overwhelming.  Perhaps that is part of the reason you have anxiety attacks over it.  Can you quit for just a day?  And if not, can you quit for half a day?  I cannot tell you how just a little success at this will spur you on.  Our quit houses are built brick by brick.  Every time we get through a craving we add another brick.

Keep asking and answering questions for yourself.  This is a good video to help  understand the nature of this addiction.  What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

Something that helped me deal with cravings was thinking of this journey as a rite of passage.  You just have to go through the unpleasant part.  I accepted that it would be tough in the beginning.  Kind of like if you are placed in a cast, or have gone through an operation.  There's a time when you're simply  going to be uncomfortable for a while.  It's not the end of the world.  It's a time when your body needs to heal and adjust.  The difference is, when you're placed in a cast you have no choice but to remain in it.  The option to do what you've always done is taken off the table.  With quitting, the choice to smoke is still out there.  It's the option to smoke that causes the panic.  If you had no choice to smoke, if you were on a desert island and there simply were no cigarettes, you'd much more rapidly accept the fact that you can't smoke and get over the cravings faster too.  Think about it.

MarilynH

You can do this quit believe it deep breaths little.mama and please destroy the cigarettes so they're not around if and when you get a horrid urge to relapse if they're not around then you've got the opportunity to give your head a shake and tell yourself that you don't smoke anymore you can be living a life of Freedom BUT first you must go through the roller coaster ups and downs so you can get to that good place in your quit where you realize how much better life is without the crutch of cigarettes believe it deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can.....

PSX_20190825_090655.jpg