cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

aakritii92

Today is my first day and I am very frustrated. I have just too many smoking triggers and I cannot get my mind off. :(

Anyone has any suggestions to get me moving?

0 Kudos
34 Replies
aakritii92

That is so kind of you. How are you doing?

0 Kudos
elvan

Please pay attention to the advice you have been given, YoungAtHeart‌ has outlined some things you can do.  You have to remember that triggers are going to happen whether you smoke or not and you need to accept that smoking really never did anything FOR you, only TO you.  That made it much easier for me...smoking does not reduce stress, it causes it, it does not relieve pain that is physical or emotional...all that it can do is to distract you...you can distract yourself by taking deep breaths.  Breathe in, hold for a few seconds and breathe out SLOWLY.  You can do this and those triggers and craves will get weaker and weaker.  No crave ever killed anyone but no one can say that about smoking.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

diamond01

Hi, today is my 3 day, it is going to be hard just breath, and don't let your mind talk you into buying a pack, every morning I say to myself i will just run to the store and buy a pack, and smoke just one but their is no just one. Good luck Helen.  

Barb102

Welcome. You have been given such great advice. This advice is not from people just preaching it. It’s not from people who were never addicted. It’s people just like me and you. They have more smokefree days , so their advice is so valuable. It’s what got me to day 158 , when I felt exactly like you in the beginning. Please don’t let Anything give yourself an excuse to smoke. That’s the beginning of the end. Follow all the advice. Do the breathing , get moving and dont dwell on the crave. It will pass. As I learned from the Elders no one dies from quitting, only from smoking. I know you can do this   One day at a time. The days turn into weeks and weeks into months. The Elders have their quits in the years. I can’t wait to get there. Be strong and know we are all here for you. Come to us day or night and we will be here for you.  Remember Not One Puff Ever!

Barb 

DLHaffner

Welcome aakritii92‌!!!  For my first few weeks, I spent most of my days on this site reading the literature and posting about how I was feeling.  I found a lot of the people who've already posted a response to you (above) SUPER helpful!  This site is my support community for continuing as an ex-smoker.  It gets a lot easier BUT if you smoke it won't, it will just be the same daily struggle.  I just procrastinated....I'm going to read one more thing and then if I want to smoke I'll consider it, then I'd think we'll I'm just going to watch this stupid/funny animal video and then if I still want to smoke I might consider it, and then I'd think we'll I have to do this work thing real quick and then if I want to I'll consider it and then I'd go get some cold water and drink that and talk with someone else and if I still wanted to smoke I'd consider it....anyway, I think you get the point.  I'm a super good procrastinator so putting things off isn't really that hard.  I would also literally yell NOPE out loud when by myself....Not one puff ever!!!!  It's okay to feel uncomfortable, not smoking will NOT kill you.  Just feel it, the discomfort is nicotine and other death chemicals leaving your body, so you'll definitely be okay.  And every time I felt uncomfortable and sat through it I think I got a bit stronger!!  Good luck!

Danielle 

112 DOF!  (Days of FREEDOM!)

YoungAtHeart

And ALWAYS keep in mind that quitting never killed anyone; smoking not only DOES - but what leads up to it can be pretty terrible, too - with no good ending!

Quitting smoking has a WONDERFUL ending - FREEDOM!

jtheo

Welcome. I don't really have anything to add. I did want to welcome you and reinforce what everyone else said...read, prepare, read, and read some more! If you have a question, ask. Never hesitate. We've all been where you are and maintain our smobriety by helping others along the path. It doesn't matter if you have 1 day or 100 years, everyone contributes. Some days are tough but the freedom and pride of making it thru a particularly difficult day compares to none!

Welcome to the EX!!

Congratulations on your journey!!! Today is 8 DOF for me!     It has had its ups and downs but I just keep telling myself you don’t NEED this!!! Every time things get even a little rough I come here and read read read!!! I’ve never reached out like this before and I’m soooo grateful I did!!! Today was probably my roughest day and I got some of the most beautiful support imaginable!!! Understanding the addiction also has helped tremendously. Take pride in everyday of freedom!!!

desiree465

How are you doing today?

0 Kudos
aakritii92

Hi. It is getting difficult. I am trying to avoid anything and everything. Just being on my laptop and working continuously. 

0 Kudos