cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tsmith6105

Today is my Day 9

Well I'm still plugging along... making it day by day for the most part. I have about 5 or 6 times a day when I "wish" I could have a smoke. Mostly just thoughts that I'm able to quickly dismiss; like midway through my morning routine, nearing the end of a meal, or after a long day etc. Today's been unusually tough though and I'm not sure why. I guess I'm just find myself thinking about smoking more.

I've been going outside and getting some air during the times I would've normally been smoking a week or so ago... and I did spend this past weekend around a bunch of smokers. I didn't really try to avoid them, I actually did the opposite. I think I secretly enjoyed the second hand smoke to some degree but also wanted to kind of test myself. I know that's totally stupid but I'm just being honest.

I'm afraid I might be glamorizing my quit to some degree and that scares me a bit. I need to get back to thinking in terms of giving myself a gift by not smoking, rather than depriving myself of something I want. I think I'm becoming complacent in allowing myself the luxury of thinking about smoking in a positive way. Even though I know I'm kidding myself, my addict brain is telling me the opposite.

I've been reading a lot about No Man's Land and while I realize I'm still a few weeks out, I think I'm kinda psyching myself up for it. Curious if there are other schools of thought on the withdrawal timeline... like maybe it gets easier each day instead of harder like NML suggests? I realize the "hell week" portion is the worst for physical withdrawal but I'm curious about the mental withdrawal... and also curious about what to expect in that regard. I feel like I did a good job preparing for my quit day but this was primarily based on dealing with the physical withdrawal. Now I guess I'm just getting a little scared since I seem to be thinking about smoking more just in the past few days... even though my body isn't reacting the way it was during the first 3 to 5 days. 

I did drink alcohol for the first time as a non-smoker a few nights ago... that was interesting. I had a few beers and I definitely noticed the association to want to smoke, and again I went outside with one of my smoker friends and sat right there with her while she smoked and I didn't. I think I partly did this as a way to prove to myself that "I've got this"... "no big deal" etc. but in reality, maybe I'm playing with fire.  

As I write this, I'm starting to question whether or not I'm even really serious about my quit or not. I mean I think I am... and maybe these "confessions" are actually just my way of busting my addict and getting it all out there on the table. Maybe if I say it out loud it will loose some of it's allure... and it won't be a secret anymore. Maybe I'm just entering into the mental stuff a little early lol

Anyway, this is where I am today. I'm happy to have this space to write these thoughts and I appreciate each hour that passes by smoke free. I'm doing this and I'm proud of myself... even though I know I don't sound very convincing!

10 Replies
Mandolinrain

Don't over think it, just do it today ( stay quit ). I think your on the right path. I think you want this quit. Your still researching , reading, blogging. Its all part of it and its all good.

Sometimes I think as humans, we feel we have to overcompensate, overachieve, overact, overthink..over and over and over until we just need to get OVER it and move on, lol.

Keep researching, reading, learning, understanding and just keep them away from your mouth .

Congrats on 9 Days of Freedom! You earned everyone of them..over and over and over again

Barb102

Be proud of yourself. You are doing this and I know you want. It’s just demon Nic trying to stop you from your quit. You got this. Keep saying and pledging just for today. It gets easier as days go by but you have to fight the craves to get there. You will. I know you will. One foot in front of the other and breathe 

Barb. DOF 139

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 9 days of freedom.  It is good that you can come here and write your thoughts. I think you are correct in the assessment that you may be glamorizing and testing your quit. The excitement of your quit may be wearing off, reality has set in and you are more aware of the times that you think about smoking.  In the beginning, there will be a push and pull that the addictive brain takes us through.  In time those thoughts decrease. 

If you want to be around smokers that is okay as long as you do not smoke.  However, the chances of you smoking increase the longer you HANG AROUND them until you become stronger. When and if it becomes a problem you have to be strong enough to walk away.    You have not lost a thing.  You have gained the freedom to do, move and think without being connected to a stinking cigarette.  Yes, they stink. 

Confidence is good but overconfidence can create a problem.  No need to try and convince anyone.  You have to know yourself that you are not going to smoke no matter what is happening in your life.  Come here if you are having any problems before you smoke.  It is whats between the ears.  

Carry on, the journey continues  with each day WON

Daniela2016

I think you want to quit, but also you want to prove yourself how well you are doing on your quit.  You are proud of the 9 days of freedom and so are we, congrats for that! 

But don't play with fire (pun intended)!  Read a lot on this site, you will learn from others' successes and failures.  One of our quitters posted something today, the 7 Cardinal Rules for Life; at number 6 Pops has "Stop thinking too much.  It's alright not to know the answers.  They will come to you when you least expect it."   

We recommend no drinking at the beginning of your quit, if you have associated that with smoking...We recommend avoid smokers at the beginning of your quit; so they don't become a trigger for your still fragile quit. 

You might have smooth sailing through NML.  It is all in our minds.  We share here to help others prepare, but my experience does not have to be yours. 

And like Missy said: take it one day at the time, celebrate every day won, be happy you are becoming an EX.

Strudel

Congrats to you! You are SO RIGHT about needing to reach a point when you feel you have given up nothing of any importance by quitting! You aren't deprived.....smokers don't "get to smoke" - they "have to smoke" and you are free of that now! You are doing great  - stay close! 

Lisaml

Hey Trevor! Way to go!!! 9 days is no small feat! 

I can’t offer anything beyond the awesome words on the responses to you, but I’m here to chime in with my support! I know you can do this!! 

Don’t listen to the junkie talk in your brain. 

If you didn’t want/need to quit, you wouldn’t be here on day 9. Stay tough! 

Deena-A-Yenni

I like what Studel said:  Smokers don't "get to smoke" they "have to smoke".   We don't anymore.  Stick with it.

elvan

Great blog, good for you for recognizing that you have not been doing yourself any favors...you do not need to be tested.  You don't HAVE to smoke like smokers do.  Tomorrow, you will be a member of the DOUBLE digit club with ten days.  This is a journey, the longer, the better.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Good hear to from you.  Thanks for the update.  You're doing great with 9 days smoke free!

86DOF