cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mykids

Today I stopped smoking today. What are things I can do to not think about it so much.

Need some help with this one. 

16 Replies
mykids

Thank you. I’m glad there are people out here that is willing to help. 

elvan

We are willing to help and every one of us know what you are going through.  There are no shortcuts to quitting and there are no ways to avoid some of the harder times.  We have to learn how to live our lives without turning to nicotine to solve everything when, in fact, it never solved a thing.  It really is a journey and every time you get past a crave, you have gotten stronger.  You have shown yourself that you can do it.  Education and support are seriously helpful in this journey and then you need to have your very own commitment to stay free.  You CAN do this.  I smoked for 47 years and have been free for over five, thanks to this site and the advice and support I got from here.  If you haven't already read Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking"...you can likely get it from your local library or buy a used copy on line.  Stay close to this site, I came here every morning and every evening because it fed my quit and it convinced me that I could do it.  I had tracked cigarettes back when I smoked but that just gave me a record of my triggers and a plan for what to do when they occurred, I ended up quitting suddenly because I got really, really sick.  It was a matter of life or breath and I chose breath.  I don't know how much planning you did for this but planning helps...it can STILL be done after you quit...you've got suggestions for things to do instead of smoking...My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  I would suggest that your read two blogs written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that you may find very helpful.  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  and https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/6040-my-welcome-to-new-members-10-years-of-wisdom-  Remember that we ARE here and we all know how hard it is...

Ellen

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

elvan wrote:

Congratulations on your quit, please remember that it is a journey and not an event.  .......

Whoa. That is so important to remember. Thank you for the reminder elvan‌!

sweetplt

Welcome to Day 2 ..., be proud you did Day 1 smoke free...Colleen aka sweetp

mykids

This is real hard. 

0 Kudos
Beck37

Congratulations on your quit! Just stop thinking about it. Get it out of your head. You made the exciting decision to stop smoking. The less you think about quitting smoking, the easier it will be to actually quit smoking. The moment you start to think about it, literally shake your head of the thought and move on to something else.  Smoking is not an option, you have quit. You can do this because you are amazing and will not let yourself down. 

There are are tons of people here that are willing to help you out. The biggest thing to remember is there is never going to be a good excuse for you to smoke again....

Hang in, hang on...

Beck