cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

To people who relapse

I have been the one. The one who quit for a week, a few days, whatever, and then picked up one cigarette and fell into the relapse game. I came here and talked about the relapse and then I fell off the face of the planet.

I was reading replies to a person who relapsed and one of them said "thank you for posting!" I thought that was so profound in a weird way. The relapser screwed up their courage and posted. They didn't disappear from EX. And they were thanked for that. 

I want to add my thanks to relapsers who try again and again and again, and come here and talk about it. It is so brave to not internalize it all, to share with us, and to, believe it or not, strengthen my/our quits. By starting again, you're showing signs that you're gonna make it. You have not given up. You want to quit. You're flirting with smoking, but you'll show it to the curb before you know it. I believe in you! 

I'm 44 days in and have quit numerous times before. I know what a relapse is and how tempting the urge to smoke can be. I also know that if I take even one puff, I'm a smoker again. And to tell the truth, I'm not sure I would have the wherewithal to come here and admit the relapse and ask for help.

So, yes, thank you for posting. You are doing both yourself and me a favor by doing so. And keep quitting!

Donna

Day 44

56 Replies
elvan

TerrieQuit‌ signed all of her posts, "I won't quit on my quit."  She is missed.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Terrie is missed GREATLY.  And how ironic is it that this wonderful woman who professed daily - adamantly "I won't quit on my quit," did indeed quit on her quit.  Just goes to show us all that words don't really mean a thing when it comes to this addiction.  And she was on oxygen off and on. And I think, how is she now?  Having gone back to smoking.  Is her need for oxygen greater? How could it not be after all this time back to smoking?  

But I don't understand why she's never back here.  She was an Elder.  She had the wisdom, the learning, the education about this addiction. She was incredibly supportive.   How can she not want to quit again?  Same with LindaN.  I just don't understand how you can be such an amazing supporter on here, with quit years under you belt and then not try again after you've blown it.  Then all the words of advice and wisdom you've given mean - nothing to yourself.  It was all just for everybody else.

But that's ok.  Let's just say that's an experience I don't want to go through for myself to understand it.  I'll just stay smoke free thank you.

elvan

Giulia‌ I contacted her on Facebook back when I was on there...I stopped going to Facebook some time ago, I feel so badly that she lost her quit.  She really was SUCH an enthusiastic quitter...she is missed.

Happy Saturday.

Ellen

SimplySheri

I simply love Terrie and Linda!!  They have heart in everything they do.  I miss them and their light.  But recently a co-worker and I were talking as she sat in her car smoking (I was outside and a few steps back).  She said she knows she should quit and she knows she may be killing herself but she wants to smoke and that's that.  She doesn't want to hear about it and if I didn't want to be around her because she smoked, that was a decision only I could make.  She wasn't ugly about it or mean.  She was just a 'diehard' smoker who didn't care what society thought about it.

Maybe those we love here and in our personal lives need to know that we love them regardless of their actions.  Yes, I want everyone to quit smoking but I'm not going to cut them out of my life if they don't quit.  I will just not be close by when they smoke.  

I don't know.  Just a thought.

0 Kudos
elvan

SimplySheri   I have a very good friend who is a heavy smoker, she also drinks a lot, I love her dearly and she knows it, she also knows that I wish she would quit but I won't pressure her about it.  I think your description of your friend as a "diehard" smoker is very good...diehard being the key word there.  I used to describe myself as being part of a "dying breed" when I talked about smoking.  

McCarron‌ I think it is normal to feel anxiety as your quit date approaches.  Keep identifying triggers and planning for what to do when they occur, they WILL occur.  Being ready for the triggers and knowing they will come and go is really a huge help.  Remember that no crave ever killed anyone but no one can say that about smoking.

jconfusion‌ I think Pizza hut's pizza is too greasy.  Like I said, I am not a pizza person.  I USED to love it.

jconfusion

lol its better than taco hell mcdonalds burger king and subway lol I  hate dominos and hungry howies but I like cottage inn

but they don't deliver

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I certainly did not quit my first attempt, so no judgement here.  But now that I have experienced freedom, I do strongly encourage everyone to join me.  I did learn from those who relapsed - I realized that I did not want to be in their shoes - and that helped keep  me moving forward with my quit.

jconfusion

I smoked for 15 years.  I never really tried to quit seriously until I read that my smoking wasn't helping my cats already damaged eyes.  I decided that's it  I loved chaos more than my  addiction bought myself 3 months worth of  Nicorette  gum. but let me go to when I tried the patches,  Chantix,  cold turkey, even that breathing device.  it didn't last long because I couldn't deal with the withdraw pains...so I got Nicorette  for three months the third month to ween myself off the gum.  I got rid of all my ashtrays lighters I even got my apartment repainted to get the smell of smoke out of my living space.  the biggest thing people need to do to quit is decide youre done hurting yourself the ones you love.  I used to smoke a lot and someone asked what if I couldn't buy them anymore and laughed and said that's never going to happen! but now im on my 7th year of being smoke free.  you don't know how strong you are until you've tried!  hugs you got this!

june

DonnaMarie

Just like any other drug, if we couldn't buy them legally, we'd find a way or just grow our own. LOL 

Congrats on staying quit. It's my dream. 

Donna

Day 45

jconfusion

ive quit other drugs too like meth drinking acid crack and crank I cant really say pot because  I smoked some pot after chaos died  but haven't touched it since.  it didn't really help it just made me goofy stupid and hungry.    now for my real addiction is wait for it....da da da food! lol

I used to make my own acid. when I was like 16.  it wasn't really acid and I was being a stupid kid lol.  im 38 now.

im just a stupid adult lol.

june day 2686

0 Kudos