cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bhende06

Tips on getting over your rountine smoke

Cigarettes have been a daily routine since I was 14 years old and now I am 22. I am trying to think of ways to overcome the everyday routine smoke. For me, my hardest smoke to give up and overcome is the one first thing in the morning. I don't drink coffee or eat before I smoke, I just wake up and smoke. I don't have any thing paired with it and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to overcome this.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
zhao

There is no other solution, other than that don't ever smoke.  The first one in the morning being hardest for you, for now yes. If you skip the first one in the morning, there will pop up another one from elsewhere and it will then become the hardest one!

Just make up your mind never smoke again! For me, I always convince myself the folloowing points and found them very helfpul:

#1 Smoking is never the solution to your problems, rather it is the disaster waiting to happen!

#2 Smoking will never give you a boost, rather it depresses and enslaves you! To break the vicious cycle is simple, just don't ever give in.

#3 Smoking is the worst way to start  a day, pick up jogging, get up 1 hour earlier and do it.

0 Kudos
bhende06

Ok. Thank you. I will try these.

0 Kudos

Its a habit. The best way to break a habit is to find another one. The first one is still my hardest to overcome. When you wake up and want that first smoke, tell yourself to wait. Tell yourself you'll wait on smoking that first one, and find another habit. As you tell yourself to wait, drink a bottle of water. Better yet, as you're telling yourself you'll wait, drink water and listen to a song. Before I relapsed, the first thing I did when I woke up was exercise. Even if I was groggy.

0 Kudos

this site says to break the routine then quit if you have not tried it yet try not smoking  till  10 min. till after wake up and increse by 2 min per day till you dont smoke at all  your habbit did not begin in one day trying to break it in one day probaly wont work and make you feel like a failure and discourage you from trying to quit  a exsmoker gave me some great advice never quit quittng  like the old saying gose the best thing to do when you fall off your horse is to get back on right away

0 Kudos

break the horse don't let the horse break you

0 Kudos
ivoryricky1

I have read all of the comments, I have tried to quite many times, but never made it to day seven, I am determine that this will be it.

0 Kudos
bhende06

My doctor prescribed me some of those patches and I have started using them but they don't seem to do anything. I'm not sure how long they take to start working.

0 Kudos
shadoza

@bhende06--I loved the patches as I had no urge to smoke and because I was wearing one I did not want to smoke.    Unfortunately, for me, six days after I started using the patches, I started a rash, by tenth day, it was raised, heated, and red.  I had to stop using them.

I did learn that I could not smoke if I chose to, just getting past the triggers now.  The 1st one in the morning...well there is always going to be a 1st one if you are still smoking.  What I did, was set the items needed to start my day out.  So I could just start the day without thinking about it or preparing.  I still smoke in the morning, but I am clean, dressed, and fed before I do. 

0 Kudos
bhende06

My problem is I still want to smoke. I feel like it's not doing anything for me. I guess I expected to feel it working. I'll keep trying though and try your suggestions.

0 Kudos