cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

oliviaroko

Thought it would be easier by now!

Ok folks - 18 days and counting. Made it through the first three days. Made it through HELL week. Made it through week two and I am staring down week THREE...  and I am grouchy, irritated, hungry, annoyed, bored and generally a total mess!

Small irritations like messes in the house send me into a flying rage! I can't sit still for 5 minutes! I eat every bag of chips that crosses my path! I am so bored I could cry! I am wondering what is wrong with me! I feel alternately exhausted and that I could run a marathon!

I thought that some of these things would subside by now. I am reading other blogs and websites and thankfully there are people out there that are saying that it is still hard a few weeks in.. 

When does it get easier? The actual cravings for a cig/vape have subsided dramatically - I only even think about it 3 - 4 times a day now, which is great. However, it is replaced with an insane restlessness that I can't quite itch. 

When will this insane irritation finally go away??

13 Replies
Karine

I feel you!  I am on Day 17 and had to go back and bookmark When Does it Get Easy!  I guess when does it get normal would be appropriate too.  I too am restless but not motivated . I have energy but don't want to do anything .  I am focused and unfocused all at the same time . I love how I feel when I breathe though really love it . Maybe its the waves of cravings that Giulia‌ has mentioned that are beating me down as in fighting them or arguing with them or beating the urges back. I do not want to smoke . Not an option.  But I do understand how you feel oliviaroko‌ . I am willing to feel uncomfortable if that is what it takes to protect my quit and stay quit . 

oliviaroko

Thanks everyone - SO MUCH  - for this incredible wisdom and your reflections. It is amazing - like a few of you said  - we need to trust the ones who have gone before and made it. One day at at time....  I am grateful that I can feel this crazy because it means I am slowly healing and changing. I remember when I first got sober from alcohol - there were days I would just lie there in paralysis and fear and just excruciating internal pain - but it was all in service of getting better and I used a tool of curiosity to get through the days.. I would say "Let's be curious about how today will be different without booze..." and I am try to apply the same thing here. But it doesn't mean it is always easy.  It was hell - and what did Churchill say about it - "If you are going through hell, keep going". It is hard to ride all of this out - I KNOW it will pass - I know it in my mind. It helps to come and read about everyone's experiences because it truly makes me realize WHY I feel the way I do, that it is normal at this stage, and that things get better!!

With many blessings for all of you and thank you!! 

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS!  You are doing this!

Ellen

0 Kudos
Karine

Paralysis! oliviaroko‌ you hit the nail on the head for me.  I guess for me cigarettes have precious to me.  I too am sober and even though when I gave up alcohol I drank tea lots of tea and when I became emotional , I just thought wow that must be because i stopped drinking . Almost 4 years sober . 30 years no hard drugs and that too was hard.  But his is a whole other layer of hard.  Lets get curious about this life without cigs. I  like that and so happy you posted because you helped me too

0 Kudos