cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

becky17

This is going to be hard isn`t it?

Hi everyone,
My name is Becky and I have to quit one way or another. The problem is I still enjoy it. I started smoking Nov. 11, 1972. Now I have several health problems that are related to my smoking. The other day the doctor did a test and showed me the reak out. It said that I have the lungs of an 80 year old and I am only 49. I need all of the support and help that I can get. I have started on medication to help and I have set a quit date for August. I need to and will do this so I can be here to see my daughter grow up. She is 14 now and begging me to quit.
0 Kudos
26 Replies
doreen1

Wow, Becky - so young to have these health issues. But, that's what smoking does. What exactly do you enjoy about smoking? The burning of your eyes when you get smoke in it? The smell of a dirty ashtray on you and your clothes? The holes in your clothes or furniture from a hot ash? You have to WANT to quit in order for this to really work - otherwise you are going to be fighting an uphill battle. This is not an easy thing to do, but it is so worth it! And it CAN be done. You've just got to make up your mind and............
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
0 Kudos
tomdavie

Hi Becky. My name is Tom. I understand where you are coming from. You cant quit smoking because quitting smoking sucks. In fact, you have probably tried to quit smoking 100s of times and failed when you figured out smoking was a lot easier than quitting.

I started smoking Jan 22 1982. They all told me it was addictive. I watched my parents chain smoke for years. Of course I didnt think I would get addicted. Not me. 2 months after I started, I found it difficult to go a day without a ciggarete. After that, I have smoked for 22 years, telling myself I could quit every single day. Yet it never came true.

There hasnt been a stretch in my life where I thought of myself as a smoker. Not in my fantasies anyways. In my dreams I am always, healthy, active and a non smoker. White teeth, muscular and well groomed.

Instead, Im not well groomed. My teeth are yellow. Far more yellow than I admit in the mirror. Instead of keeping my weight down as it did when I was younger, smoking now keeps me fat, as I cannot possibly run anywhere or do any extended exersise.

My lungs hurt too much.

I stink. But I dont think I stink. My clothes, my house, my pets and my daughter all stink. My car too. But I wont admit it.

However, the truth is , smoking is a young mans game. Just like drinking, screwing around, fighting, gambling . Changing jobs every 3 months. Making the same mistakes over and over.

Its far more difficult to go out for a drink in a small town in pennysvannia , and wake up with a hang ovr in mexico when you are 42 instead of 20.

Same with smoking. Its the same thing as anything else. We know its bad for us, but since we are young and bullet proof, we didnt pay a huge price for it. The concequences came at us slowly over time.

I have come to the conlusion I have no idea how to quit smoking. The bald faced truth is if i knew how , I would be a non smoker. Quitting smoking SUCKS. It really does come down to just putting the ciggarettes down. However, we all know that putting the ciggarettes down is the first and easist part.

Keeping them down is much more difficult physically, emotionally and mentally.

We all love smoking. The good side of it that is. Just like we all loved the good side of gambling, drinking , and fooling around.

One day we realized that the bad side wasnt worth the good side. So we quit.

but not with smoking we didnt. We found it was an entirely different animal. Smoking compaines were not going to let us off the hook that easily.

Turns out, smoking is EASY , but has horrible concequences that we had ignored when we were young.

Turns out , quitting smoking SUCKS, but has life altering rewards.

I am just like you . The same drug addicted human being, living the illusion that we can quit smoking to appease ourselves each time we light up.

We are all here for the same reason. We no longer want the concequences of smoking ciggarettes, but know that quitting has dire concequences . Caught in an oxymoron, misnomer, or whatever we label it.

Time to decide.
0 Kudos
becky17

Okay, I have updated my quit date to this week. I was going to try and follow the ex plan but most here says don`t follow it just quit. Today my son who is 35 is having major surgery and I will be baby sitting his 9 and 3 year old step sons so I will not commit to stopping today. Thank you to the ones that was so supportive and helpful. To the ones that just put me down I got all of that I needed from my ex husband thank you very much. Wish me luck because I do want to quit. I just hate the withdrawal symptoms. But somehow I will survive. My daughter is happy but says she is going to hide out in her room until I have gone through the withdrawal and not mean and gouchy anymore.
0 Kudos
sherri10

Becky,

I'm sorry you felt beaten up by some of the people here, but I'm glad you've decided on a quit date. Just remember, lots of people have quit lots of different ways. There is no right or wrong way to quit when the end result is the same.

Let me know if I can be of any help
0 Kudos
cindy25

Becky, Don't let some peoples "zeal" for quitting effect you in a negative way. There are a few people here that use more negative approaches in trying to "help" -including using shaming statements and advocating immediate quits by cold turkey. That approach didn't work for me either. There are not many people that do this here, just ignore it. Everyone has their won approach and attitudes. I used the Ex plan and highly recommend it. It only takes two or three weeks if you follow it. Don't rush it before you feel prepared, but you may lose steam for quitting if you extend your quit date too far in the future. That is why the Ex plan says two to three weeks out. I was really surprised that when I started the separation phase, my smoking cut in half!!!! I wasn't even trying to do that. It just happened by trying the techniques and being AWARE of my personal smoking habits. I was actually READY in two weeks! Not many withdrawal symptoms due to the decrease in nicotine that last week before I quit. You can do it! Stay positive!!!!!
0 Kudos
becky17

Okay tomorrow is my quit date and I am going to give it my best. I know it will be stressful as I have to go and take care of my sons step kids and help my son when his wife goes to work. The three year old is a handful and I my nerves don`t do to well with little kids anymore. But this will just be until my son can walk again without being in so much pain. Wish me luck. This may be easy for some but I am not one of them. I wish I was.
0 Kudos
veronica2

Hi Becky. I also just joined...I quit cold turkey after many many years. I really was not enjoying smoking anymore when I quit. In fact, I was so embarrassed and ashamed when I would go buy cigarettes - I would wear dark glasses and a hat...HA! Amazing what the beast of addiction makes us do. Becky you will know when enough is enough. I wish you health and work through the steps. It is the beginning of a new life for you - when you decide. The best gift for you - ever. It is the most loving thing you can do for you and your child will see this and remember. I remembered my parents quitting. I was huge help when I finally made the change. Be gentle with yourself and mostly don't guilt yourself. Thanks! QUIT: 1 year and 22 days!
0 Kudos
veronica2

Great post Connie. 🐵
0 Kudos
cindy25

I was advising her to ignore shaming statements. She clearly felt offended. I don't think it is okay to make shaming or patronizing statements here. We can all get our point across by telling our personal stories and by giving opinions on the quitting process without shaming the poster. Most people accomplish this without offense here, thus she should ignore the ones that offend.
0 Kudos
dawn28

Hi Becky,

I am starting the tracking exercise tomorrow. I am in the same boat as you are. My boys are 13 and 14 and they really want me to quit. My father passed away from complications due to COPD. I am on inhalers, not on a regular basis, but I can see it coming to that.

I cannot take the medications and I tried the patch before. I don't like it. The lozenges did not help me, nor the gum. I decided to join here when I heard about it because nothing else has worked. I have pulled out my knitting again and plan on learning crochet to help with the need to do something with my hands.

Dawn
0 Kudos