cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lee7

The lies I told myself.

I thought this might be fun. I was thinking back to when I was still defending my right to smoke and the excuses I made for not stopping.Here are afew of mine perhaps you have some to add.
I like to smoke.
It relaxes me.
My father smoked 4 packs a day until age 76 and he didnt die of cancer.
I can quit when I want to.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
edith2

My lie was, I gave up everything else, it's the only vice I have left! At least I'm not practicing my other addictions!
0 Kudos
leslie15

Oh yeah! I used all of yours and some additional ones:

At least I'm not overweight.
Being obese is worse for your health than smoking. (like that justifies smoking)
I work out regularly so I figure that helps prevent lung damage.
I can outwalk all my friends and don't get out of breath like they do so how bad can my smoking be?.

Guess we all played these tricks on ourselves because we were afraid to quit.
0 Kudos
sue-otts

My biggest lie was:

I REALLY enjoyed smoking. I wouldnt be smoking if I didn't enjoy it.

My hubbys biggest lie is:

When the BIG guy upstairs wants you there is nothing you can do about it, so I might as well enjoy what I can for as long as I can.
0 Kudos
lia

My favorites were...

Everyone is dying someday.

My grandfather smoked and drank heavily and he lived to be 70 years old!

The women in my family live a long time anyway.

I enjoy it. It relaxes me.

AND MY FAVORITE......
While bartending in college, my excuse was...
If I'm going to be breathing it, I'm going to enjoy smoking myself!!!!
0 Kudos
lee7

Some really great ones, thanks everyone for your input. Lee
0 Kudos
lana3

I decided to quit when I recognized other peoples lies. I recognized them before my own!!! Imagine that. One friend has "allergies" when it is humid so has to use this inhaler and wakes up in the night because she can't breath. A couple friends can't laugh or have a telephone conversation without getting into a deep throaty coughing fit. You know of the astronaut from Ashland, NE, his mother and I went to stop smoking classes. After the last class we went out for coffee and cigarettes. She died of lung cancer about a week or so after he got back from the space station. Neither of us quit after those classes, but after she died, it made me think. I used to say I didn't want to be on old lady with my head hanging in my plate at a nursing home. I got to thinking I don't want to be carrying around an oxygen tank either. I can't believe how many people my sister and I knew that have died or are dying from COPD. Made me think and stay smokefree these last 8 months.
0 Kudos
Carenda

I love the it relaxes me. I say the same thing, I also say that I enjoy smoking. I have never said I can quit whenever I want to.
0 Kudos
lana3

As you can see from some of my other posts, I tried everything. This is the best I have ever done quitting. I never used to spend any time on the computer either. I do now. Knowing other people are experiencing the same thing really helps. I think coffee and the computer may be a substitute for me.
0 Kudos
laura35

That I can just have one
0 Kudos