cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

louise2

The difference between A Thought and an Craving

Does anyone know the differrence? I am experiencing what I think are Thoughts, about smoking. They come and go pretty quickly. But, I'm unsure about Cravings. Maybe I'm not actually having any cravings because I am using the Nicotine patch. I have used the patch succesfully in the past and followed the instructions to a TEE. However, within a month or 5 weeks after stopping use I have started smoking again.... I'm very apprehensive to stop using the patch, however, I really want to lose the Nicotine.. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and if anyone else has had similar experiences. Thanks, not wanting to relapse ever again! Louise
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
frank6

well i tryed the patch like u did this time though i decided to do it cold turkey and just have withdrawal for the 72 hours there is a site www.whyquit.com that has opened my eyes to alot of things and it is working for me maybe it can help u this site gave me the strength to realize that i can have a cup of coffee without a cigarette i can drive a car without a cigarette and can eat without a cigarette so i wish u alot of luck and let me know how it goes
0 Kudos
louise2

Thank you Frank, I'll check out the website you recommended. So far, I'm still using the patch, but, I'll prepare myself better this time for when I stop using them and I can use all the web support and from people like you. Good going for you! Now all I need to do is re-learn how to do all those things without the patch!!! Seems like I traded one for the other. But, i'll do it this time. Thanks again. Stay strong in your own commitment.
0 Kudos
robert-rubino

Hi Louise--Sounds like the 'Patch' is helping u a little--I quit--COLD TURKEY-JULY 9--AND I'm surprised--Ihaven't had 1 yet! I think--the difference between 'thoughts' and 'cravings' are: U THINK about it when someone or something associates the TIME WHEN U THINK U WANT 1----AND THE 'CRAVING' IS ---MAYBE LIKE --AFTER U EAT--OR -COFFEE,OR NERVES--KNOW WHAT I MEAN?? AT LEAST--I feel that way about it. The PATCH NEVER WORKED ON ME??? Please excuse my typing--im lousy on the keyboard--but good luck 2 u--u sound like you r doing fine.. I know I have 2 keep busy--like golf,misic, playing the piano,doing dramatics etcc... u have 2 keep goingggggg---goinnngggg hha ha good luck LOUISE
0 Kudos
louise2

Thanks Robert, I'm doing well going on day 61 and I appreciate your insight to my question. It does make sense to me. Your typing is fine and I agree, we all have to stay busy. Stay commited you got it down! Cold turkey, is tough good for you.
0 Kudos
louise2

Wow! What a great analogy and you are right... Thanks I will keep the most positive attitude I can. You too...
0 Kudos
Denise28

Here's my definition: hope it makes sense to you!

An urge is a physical feeling where you strongly feel that you need to smoke, a craving is a little less than an urge, you don't need to do it but WANT to do it and it lasts for some time and a thought is just simply that a thought. The thought is something you think about for a moment or two and then it goes away. It comes back but then it goes away just as quick.
0 Kudos
louise2

Thanks Denise, that does make sense. As I look back at when I wrote this discussion to begin with and today I see a small difference. I continue to have "Thoughts," that do pass quickly. And "Cravings," which last a little longer and "Urges," fall somewhere in between. I have been off the patch now going on day 63 and it seems fewer and far between for me. But, I sure seem to have a hard time keeping my mouth shut!! I've gained some weight. But, even that may be tapering off. Thanks for all your answers and insight. It means the world...
0 Kudos