cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

msillusion

The Trap

Back when we grandmothers and grandfathers were young, smoking was cool. It was on many commercials and all the most impressive moviestars smoked. It was acceptable and was not banned anywhere. Today after many years of debate the facts read clear, it is in fact not cool. So many of us are involved in raising our grandchildren and it is time for us to show them what cool is. We were trapped into believing smoking was the thing to do... it was laced with long cigarette holders lined in gold. It was suave and debonaire. Once hooked,... and years later.........Help!! I wanna quit!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
theresa18

I fully understand how you're feeling, thanks for starting this group!!!!! I have two adorable grandson's Noah is 4 yrs. old & Andrew is 21 month's old, my son is a single parent, I just had the boy's stay with me for a week ( I'm 3 hours away from them ) and boy do I miss them already, today was so hard not to smoke just to deal with the emotional stuff but I've made it 19 days and I'm fighting tooth and nail to hold out, Please pray for me and my family !!!!!
0 Kudos
msillusion

Thank you... yes I will absolutely Pray for you and yours. We are big on Prayer here. I know the emotional stuff seems to break us down faster than anything else... just proves we have great loving hearts girl!. Hang in there!! You have done great so far... 19 days is super! I haven't quit yet still writing down my list of triggers, but have noticed that in doing so I am slowing down! Funny how just making myself aware is helping to give me a start. We have three grandchildren we are raising. Boy 11, boy 7 and baby girl 3. They are so my world! We have 13 grandchildren in all. Super little people. But they can sure make me want to have a dirty duty ((grin)) aka smoke. Stay in touch.... Pray for me too please.... I feel like I will need all the help I can get to break this addiction. Thanks, Julie aka: Msillusion
0 Kudos
tracy17

I understand, believe me. I quit once before for 16 yrs and stupidly started again about four years ago. I quit on the 8th and am using the patch. This seems to be helping me quite a bit. When I think about smoking I just tell myself NO and get busy. I quit cold turkey before and couldnt Imagine that again. Hang in there!!!!. Its going to be worth the effort, and think of the example we will set for our little ones. And I prayed for you the minute I read your request........
0 Kudos
marleen

I'll pray for you too!
Our parent's never really knew about the dangers of smoking when we were young.But since I do know now
that I'm older and have seen the affects of how smoking has ruined so many peoples lives, and their famililies as well, there's no way that I would ever want my Grandchildren to ever smoke!
And probably the best way that I can help there, is to set a good example for them.
I also know that as soon as there old enough to learn about the dangers from school and T.V. that they will say something, and I don,t think a few days of withdrawal symptoms is as bad as a child making you feel guilty.
My child used to ask me to quit all the time when he was young. And it used to make me feel bad, but I was to stupid to quit. But now I know that he was right. I just don't want to go through that again with grandchildren.
0 Kudos
karen36

God bless you all.
0 Kudos